Thread: Len Whittle-704(AC) Sqdn.,Odiham,Hants

Thanks

Default Len Whittle-704(AC) Sqdn.,Odiham,Hants

I have been given some undated photo's.On the back,signed by a Len Whittle."L.Whittle"Signals 704(AC)Sqdn,Odiham,Hants"
    I have checked the CWG site and,although I don't know if this man was kia,there is a Sgt Leonard Whittle,W/Op/A/G of 58 squadron,kia 19.6.1940 on an op to Castrop-Rauxel.
    Can anyone tell me anything about Odiham and if they have come across a Len Whittle,as i am trying to establish if the photo's are of the same man killed in 1940 in 58 squadron
    many thanks

Thanks

Linda,

For what it is worth, the index to the Oct 1946 RAF Air Force List records:

186415 Whittle, L B J ('released')
    196770 Whittle, L G ('released')

A check against the London Gazette might reveal if either had a first name of Len.

Errol

Thanks

Hi Linda
    On the date you have for the loss of Sgt Whittle ,58 Sqn were flying Whitleys from Linton-on-Ouse and according to Jefford's RAF Sqns never operated from Odiham. The Sqns in the 700 and 800 series were Fleet Air Arm. From the casualty list of HMS Glorious,sunk in June 1940, it seems that some FAA Sqns had some RAF personnel on their strength but how long this went on and which Sqns in total I don't know.The (AC) could be Army Co-operation but the Sqn No is FAA. It might a Raf Regt unit but again the Sqn no. doesn't seem to fit
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Default Linda

Thanks Dick/Erroll, will keep trying-many thanks for the info.

Thanks

Hi Linda
    I am stretching credulity to breaking point but is there any chance that the written 704 could be No4.,because 4(AC)Sqn were based at Odiham from Feb 37 to 29/9/39 when they went to France.They were pulled out in May 1940 and went to Ringway with a detachment at Detling.In Jun 40 to Aug 40 they were at Linton-on-Ouse!!.They had Hawker Audax's and Hectors to Dec 38 when they got Lysanders. Any sign of an a/c showing in the background? Just a thought-mad as it is!!
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Hi Linda,

I think that you will find he was part of No.704 (Armoured Car Flight) Squadron RAF Regiment, later numbered No.2704 Sqn RAF Regiment.

The link below gives the brief details.

http://www.rafweb.org/Regiment2.htm

When I get back at the weekend I'll see what my book on RAF Regiment says on the early airfield ground defence role of the Squadron.

Regards
    Ross

Thanks

Default Linda

Dick-Thanks,It does look like a 7.In the background are just rows of buildings-no plane's.
    Ross,Thanks also,it sounds likely.Shame we can't do attachments as i am sure someone could tell from looking at the photo & what is written on the back!

Thanks

Hi Linda,

You can post the photo on one of the hosting services such as photobucket then put the link url into the body of a message here.

People can then use the link in their browser to view the photo.

Regards
    Ross

John Wright Guest

704 Squadron was formed at Llanbedr in 1941 became 2704 in 1942 went to the Regt Depot 1942 then Tangmere in 1944 as a LAA Squadron disbanded Folkingham 1945.

768 Squadron was at Odiham in 1941 became 2768 in 1942 NW Europe 1945.

John

Thanks

Default Linda

Thanks Ross & John-John,that does sound like the info i am looking for.Many thanks I have now been told that he distributed propaganda leaflets,so maybe that would tie in somewhere.I will try & get the photo up.