Thread: RAF in Italy

Thanks

Default RAF in Italy

Does anyone know which squadrons were operating Lysanders in Italy during the war?
    I have been told of Lysanders delivering supllies to the partisans in Northern Italy.

Thanks

hello,

I think the unit you're looking for is No. 148 Squadron. They operated Lysanders in Italy, Yugoslavia and Greece.

Joss

Thanks

Hi Bob,

I believe 31 Sqdn RAAF were also dropping supplies in Italy with Liberators (I know you are asking about Lysanders). Anne Storm who is a frequent visitor to this forum can fill you in more on that as her father was lost on one of the drops and is still missing.

Regards
    Linzee
    Last edited by Linzee; 24th September 2009 at 12:57.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Does anyone know which squadrons were operating Lysanders in Italy during the war?
    I have been told of Lysanders delivering supllies to the partisans in Northern Italy.
    Thanks Bob. I have signed up to participate. I now have a bit more gen such as the a/c no V9707 and the idea it was an Army Support Lysander?

Thanks

hello Geoff, and welcome

According the Air-Britain "R.A.F. Aircraft T1000-V9999", V9707 was a Lysander III. She flew with No. 241 Squadron, was converted to a target tug, posted to No. 1490 flight, then to No. 14 Armament Practice Camp, and eventually was posted to No. 148 Squadron. No dates are given for these postings, But this batch of 437 (out of 500) Lysander IIIAs were delivered between December 1940 and January 1942, by Westland, Yeovil, to Contract No. B.54504/39. V9707 was struck off charge on 27th September 1945.

You may get some further details, especially the dates of postings from one unit to another, from the aircraft Movement card (form 78) that you can ask to the Departement of Research and information Service of the R.A.F. Museum, Hendon.

Joss

Thanks

Bob
    I think Lysanders were operating in France but not for supply dropping to Italian partisans -as far as I know [I may be corrected on this & on statements below ?]

In 1944 ---
    31 & 34 Sqdns SAAF based, at Celone Foggia, flew Liberators to supply drop to partisans in Italy , Yugoslavia & to the Warsaw partisans.
    148 RAF & the Polish sqdns flew Halifaxes to Poland .Some Polish sqdns flew Liberators
    178 RAF flew Liberators to Warsaw .They may also have supplied Yugoslav partisans.
    The USAAF flew Flying Fortresses to Warsaw

Anne
    Last edited by aestorm; 24th September 2009 at 17:56.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jossleclercq View Post
    hello,

I think the unit you're looking for is No. 148 Squadron. They operated Lysanders in Italy, Yugoslavia and Greece.

Joss
    Many thanks I will follow this up.

Thanks

Bob & Geoff
    This website re 148 RAF [via google] might be of interest

http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/RAF/148_wwII.html

Anne