Thread: From reserve back to 'active' ?

Thanks

Default From reserve back to 'active' ?

hello,

Can someone give me some informations about a Flying Officer, pilot, who was transfered to the Class A reserve in 1933 (info from the London Gazette), at the end of his short service commission, and how he was "called back" to full time service ?

The pilot is Wilfred (C.W.G.C spelling) / Wilfrid (LG spelling) Sydney Charles ADAMS, service number 27100, who was killed in action with No. 3 Squadron on 13th May 1940, in a mid-air collision near Armentières where he's buried. He was 33 at the time.

Thanks in advance for explanations on the procedure. I can't find anything in the LG for the 1939-1940 period.

Joss

Thanks

Hi Joss

Class A Reserve was the reserve category to which ex short service officers were transferred at the end of the regular committment. They were supposed to undertake 12 hours training per year to remain in practice.

I believe call up was by telegram and probably took place around 26 August 1939, which was the date on which AuxAF and RAFVR personnel were mobilised.

Malcolm

Thanks

Joss, I couldn't find any reference in the LG either, but he's in Flight (29 June 1939) page 657.

"F/O W S C Adams transferred from Class A to Class C (May 16)". I looked for him under 'Adams' rather than 'W. S. C. Adams'

Brian

Thanks

hello,

Thanks Malcolm and Brian. I was wondering if there would have been something in the LG when he (and the others in his case) were called back.

I've checked Flight archives as well, but the name is too common to clearly show up, apart from the casualty list in the 30th May 1940 issue, which I found using name and service number. I'll download the other page you mention.

Regards from France

Joss

Thanks

Apologies Joss, I should have posted the page. Try:

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1939/1939%20-%202006.html?search=Adams

Brian

Thanks

Hi Joss

Class C was for "Ex-regular/wartime officers (ground trades) not requiring current level of knowledge"

Malcolm

Thanks

Hello,

Thanks Malcolm for your additional explanation.

Joss