Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flight Lieutenant Archibald Hynd Johnstone

Thanks

Default Flight Lieutenant Archibald Hynd Johnstone

G'day Chaps

I am hoping that someone out there will have some gen on Flight Lieutenant Archibald Hynd Johnstone. He was a Canadian in the R.C.A.F. serving with an R.A.F. bomber squadron. I am particularly interested in knowing what squadron(s) he served with.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Hi Chris,

I assume you mean former Senator Johnstone?

From Hansard...
    http://www.parl.gc.ca/36/1/parlbus/chambus/senate/deb-e/143db_1999-06-02-E.htm?Language=E&Parl=36&Ses=1#0.2.X57BJ2.F1AZ6L.Y 6XQCF.2

"Senator Johnstone has been successful throughout his career. It should be noted that, at a recent reunion of the crew members of the RAF 76th squadron, Canadian World War II Halifax Bomber, of which Archie was a member, every one of his crew is still with us enjoying the freedom they fought for over half a century ago."

I have passed this link along to Namrondooh, who is deeply into 76 Sqn history and I'm sure he can help with more info. One of my Malvern chaps, Morris Campbell Murray, was also 76 Sqn, so I will be interested to see when Johnstone's crew was there at Holme-on-Spalding-Moor.
    Last edited by dfuller52; 24th September 2009 at 19:13. Reason: additional info, punctuation
    David

Thanks

Default Johnstone

G'day Dave

I greatly appreciate that gen. Damned fast too!!!!

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Hello Chris,

I will need get back after reading the 76 Sqn ORBs. I know there was a Warrant Officer Johnston RCAF (no 'E') flying in April 1944 but need to check. Meanwhile, are you the same Chris who helped me with details of RAF Scorton a couple of years back? and a Vulcan fan?

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 25th September 2009 at 17:26. Reason: adding '1944' to line 2

Thanks

Default Vulcans

>>>"Meanwhile, are you the same Chris who helped me with details of RAF Scorton a couple of years back? and a Vulcan fan?"<<<

That would be me. I actually became a big fan of all three 'V' bombers while at Goose Bay from 1964 to 1967.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

As I have noted to Norman offline, Johnstone was born 12 June 1924, so he would have signed on in 1942 at the earliest and been in England by 1943. The tributes to him on his retirement from the Senate in Canada, note that he flew many missions with his crew and toasted the end of the war with them in May 1945. The speeches also noted that he was a F/Lt. by age 21 (which would have been 1945.)

He was one of several controversial appointments to Senate by then prime minister Jean Chretien in 1998 and served until his mandatory retirement a year later at age 75. He is known for his work on veteran's affairs among other things and represented Canada at ceremonies marking anniversaries of the Korean war and D-Day.

I wonder if Hugh Halliday has anything on him? He might even have some info on a reunion he had with his crew in Ottawa in May 1999.
    David

Thanks

Default Archie Hynd JOHNSTONE WWII service, RCAF

Hello Chris,

Here is all I have discovered on the war service of R48960 Flight Lieutenant Archibald Hynd JOHNSTONE, RCAF (formerly Flight Sergeant Johnstone K267913) This is far from complete and hopefully others will be able to add to it. particularly the Canadian training which I am unfamiliar with.

12 June 1924 - Archibald Hynd Johnstone was born at Woodleigh in Burlington, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    c1940 - Joined No ? Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Training Corps
    c1942 - Enlisted in the Royal Canadian Air Force
    c1942 - Posted to No ? Initial Training Wing, RCAF Station ?
    c1942 - Promoted Leading Aircraftman RCAF
    c1942 - Posted to No ? Flying School / No ? Gunnery School RCAF Station
    c1942 - Award of Air Gunners flying badge and promoted Sergeant RCAF
    c1943 - Posted overseas to the UK. Embarked at Port Halifax in troop ship for Liverpool, England
    c1943 - Disembarked at Port? UK
    c1944 - No 2 Aircrew Receotion Centre, Bournemouth, Hampshire, England

c1944 - Posted to No 19 Operational Training Unit, RAF Kinloss, Scotland. Crew formed apart from Mid Upper Air Gunner and Flight Engineer who were to join at next stage of training. Training on twin engine a/c - Ansons, Oxfords & Wellingtons.

c1944 - Crew posted to No 1658 H.C.U., RAF Riccall, Yorkshire, England. Crew joined by - Mid Upper Air Gunner (Nollett) and Flight Engineer (Barclay) crew now up to operational level of 7. Training on four engine aircraft – Halifax II, IIIs and Vs.

Bomber Crew at commencement of HCU course:
    Pilot/Aircraft Captain: J41465 Flying Officer L.T. WELCH, RCAF
    Bomb Aimer: R255442 Sergeant G.T. LAZENBY, RCAF
    Navigator: J43601 Flying Officer R.M. McALLISTER, RCAF
    Wireless Operator: J45669 Flying Officer W.D. CLARK, RCAF
    Rear Air Gunner: K267913 Flight Sergeant A.H. JOHNSTONE, RCAF
    Mid Upper Air Gunner: R287328 Flight Sergeant C. NOLLETT, RCAF
    Flight Engineer: 3012521 Sergeant A.E. BARCLAY, RAF.

April 1944 - Crew posted to a operational bomber squadron – No 76 (Halifax) Squadron, RAF Holme-on Spalding Moor, Yorkshire,
    6th May 1945 - Orders promulgating repatriation of RCAF personnel to Canada posted. Farewell party held in “J” Hangar that night.

7th May 1945 - Flight Sergeant Johnstone left RAF Holme-on-Spalding Moor for repatriation to Canada via “R” Depot, RAF Warrington, Cheshire. At 11.30 on the morning of 7th May 1945 the Royal Canadian Air Force volunteer aircrew left Holme-on-Spalding Moor in a convoy of trucks. They were given a tremendous send off from the aerodrome with service people gathering to wave farewell and ‘Bon Voyage’ along the route to the ‘Main Gate’ As they headed off west for the West Coast of England, the local villagers came out to cheer them on their way.

c1945 - Departed “R” Depot Warrington, Cheshire for Port Liverpool, Lancashire.
    c1945 - Embarked on Troop Ship at Liverpool and sailed off to Halifax, Canada
    c1945 – Arrived home in Canada.

8th May 1945 - “V.E.” day at RAF Holme-on-Spalding Moor. The following was written into the Squadron history by the Squadron Commander

“This first week of May 1945 was the last week for this Squadron as a bomber Squadron. 76 Squadron has fought with all its strength throughout the war in Europe, it has done a grand job and is justly proud. From the seventh of May we became Transport Command, but although there is no love like an old love we will continue to serve faithfully and with full resolve to finish the job well. So we of 76 Squadron say farewell Bomber Command and thank you for your guidance during the years we served you.”

Soon after this, the squadron, now operating Dakotas, left for India to take on the Japs

Note: Flight Sergeant Johnstone was later, granted a Kings Commission in the Royal Canadian Air Force and became J48960 Pilot Officer A.H.Johnstone, RCAF. He served in the postwar RCAF Reserve becoming a Flight Lieutenant in administration. Later, as mentioned elsewhere, he went on to serve in the Canadian Senate as Senator Johnstone and only retired in recent years.

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 28th September 2009 at 21:49. Reason: adding more info. and correcting service number in last paragraph

Thanks

Norman,
    That service number is incorrect, unless from a sequence that I have not come across before.
    Ian Macdonald

Thanks

Hello Ian,

Just about to turn in then saw your post. Thank you for pointing this out but the number "R367913" which preceded rank and name is a direct and faithfull (sic) copy from the 76 Sqn ORB detailing Canadian crews posted out of 76 Sqn to Warrington. However, I looked at all the other "R" numbers and noted two similar numbers but begining with "2" Could it be R 267913? Alas, I can not add any more clues to this. It is a mass of J numbers and R numbers. I'll send you a copy by email.

Norman

Thanks

Norman,
    Johnstone's service number could quite feasibly have been R167913 or perhaps R267913, however the latter may be a little high for a 1942 enlistment.
    Perhaps his correct number shows up in the 19 OTU ORB.
    Ian Macdonald