Thread: 76 Squadron.12/13th May 1944

Thanks

Default 76 Squadron.12/13th May 1944

I am interested in any info on the Flying Officer Jack Newcombe crew flying Halifax III MZ575 MP-W, especially Squadron Leader Nathaniel Shove DFC,RAFVR and also info on F/O Reeder RAFVR pow & F/S R.Reading RAFVR evader

I beleive it was their second tour?
    Many thanks

Thanks

Hi Linda,

How's that for a coincidence, two 76 Sqn questions in a row?

As I mentioned in my reply to the post about Archie H Johnstone, our forum mate Namrondooh has the ORB for this one and is well up on the squadron history. He will respond soon, I'm sure.

My interest in 76 Sqn, Sgt. Morris Campbell Murray, arrived at the same time as your man went down. He was shot down on the early morning of D-Day on only his third trip in a Halifax with the same code letters as MZ575. Namrondooh's father's aircraft, also coded MP-W, went down the day before.

What a small world.
    Last edited by dfuller52; 24th September 2009 at 19:21. Reason: spelling
    David

Thanks

Default Halifax B.Mk. III MZ575 MP-W

Hello Linda,

I only have a little information on navigator Sqn Ldr Shove, 'C' Flight Commander 76 Squadron and will get back to you later about the rest of the crew, after reading the ORBs - the record of operations.

67050 Squadron Leader Nathaniel Leslie SHOVE, D.F.C., born 1916, posted in from 102 Sqn Pocklington, Yorkshire to 76 Sqn Holme-on-Spalding Moor,Yorkshire on 1 April 1944. Along with 4 other crew members, he was killed in action on 13 May 1944 in Halifax B.Mk. III MZ575 ‘MP-W’ on air operations over Hasselt, Belgium

Halifax MZ575, call sign MP-W, 'W for William', took-off at 22.25 hrs on 12 May 1944 from RAF Holme-on-Spalding Moor, Yorkshire. It was detailed to attack the railway marshaling yards at Hasselt, Belgium. The operation leader was Squadron Leader Shove. MP-W was shot down by a night-fighter, Oblt. Tober of ‘111 /NJG2’ crashing in fields near the hamlet of Halshout (Brabant), half mile North of Aarschot, Belgium. It is not known if the aircraft was en-route target or on the withdrawal. Those who died were first buried at Antwerpen-Deurne Cemetery on 15th May 1944 then later reburied in Schoonselhof Cemetery.

Between April and May 1944, Hasselt Station was bombed 5 times by the Allies and on the 5th raid, 12 May 1944, Bomber Command sent 111 aircraft - 100 Halifaxes, 7 Lancasters and 4 Mosquitos - of Nos 4 and 8 Groups. Following this attack, which included some from 76 Squadron, 6 Halifaxes and 1 Lancaster were lost. Most of the attack fell in open fields and only a few bombs hit the railway yards. In late 1944 the bomb craters in open fields were turned into ponds which still exist today as a preserved pond and wild life sanctuary.

This entire all officer crew were on their second operational tour, at least, with hardly a rest. Navigator Sqn Ldr Shove being the squadrons 'C' Flight Commander. He had previously served with No.102 Squadron at Pocklington, Yorkshire and was on his 77th operation. His D.F.C. being promulgated on the 27th May 1943.

F/O Crouch previously served with 10 Sqn at Melbourne, Yorkshire and his D.F.M. was promulgated on the 13th July 1943.

MP-W crew
    Pilot/Captain F/O J. Newcombe M.I.D., KIA
    Flight Engineer F/O A.J. Crouch D.F.M., KIA
    Navigator S/L N.L. Shove D.F.C., KIA
    Bomb Aimer F/O C.H. Stewart D.F.C., KIA
    Wireless Operator F/O H.D. Recder, Injured - PoW
    Mid Upper Gunner F/S R. Reading, Evaded capture
    Rear Gunner F/O C.W. Saunderson, KIA

F/O H.D. Recder was confined to Hospital due to serious injuries (on the ORB for this operation his surname is printed 'Recder' not Reeder - I need to double check this)

Sqn Ldr Shoves D.F.C. citation reads: Royal Air Force, 27 May 1943. THE K1NG has been graciously pleased to approve the following award in recognition of gallantry displayed in flying operations against the enemy :-

Distinguished Flying Cross: Fit Lt. N. L. SHOVE, R.A.F.V.R., No. 102 Son.
    “Fit. Lt. Shove is a capable and determined squadron navigator who has taken part in attacks on the majority of the enemy's most heavily defended targets in Germany and Italy. He also participated in the “1,000" raids”. Hoping this will help you with your inquiry. May I ask what your interest in this crew is? Thank you.

Norman

(sources of reference: BCL 1944, ORBs, CWGC, "To See The Dawn Breaking" by W.R.Chorley and own knowledge)
    Last edited by namrondooh; 25th September 2009 at 01:41. Reason: adding awards

Thanks

Default Linda

Many thanks to you both(Norman and Mr Fuller) for the extra info-small world indeed!

The info is extremely helpful.

I have been asked by Squadron Leader Shove's neice to do my best to find out as much about him and his last mission-77ops!
    That is so incredible.
    His niece is hopeful that there are some photo's etc in a box in the attic,so fingers crossed!

I am now looking for relations of the rest of the crew

If can look out for any of your "men"'s relations,then please let me know and I will add them to my list

Thanks

Default 76 Squadron - Sqn Ldr Nathaniel Shove D.F.C.

Hello Linda,

I wondered if you were ever able to obtain a photograph of 67050 Squadron Leader Nathaniel Leslie SHOVE, D.F.C., born 1916, posted to 76 Sqn from 102 Sqn on 1 April 1944. Killed on 13 May 1944 in Halifax B.Mk. III MZ575 MP-W on air operations over Hasselt, Belgium. Thank you.

Norman

Thanks

We are going to put up a memorial for this crew on the crash site in September this year.
    http://www.planehunters.be/halifax-mz575/
    Regards Benny