Thread: Kentish crash sites gone to the wind?

Thanks

Default Kentish crash sites gone to the wind?

I'm sure most people have heard of rescue archaeology.

With all the housing developments taking place in the SE, has anyone thought it might be high time to record crash 'sites' in Kent, which unless I am mistaken, the whereabouts of which are now becoming lost (especially as interest in excavations for now at least seems to have gone abroad)?

If indeed I am mistaken, where may I find this information myself, these days? (Or am I too late).

Dave

Thanks

Hi David,

I think you will find that the large amount of crash site in Kent are indeed logged and most probably even been dug legally or other wise. This is an area of great interest to many an aviation historian.

If anyone knows differently please feel free to correct me.
    Regards Scott McIntosh

ACIA Researcher

Search for Air Crash Investigation & Archaeology on Facebook for our groups page.

Thanks

My feeling Scott was in fact that most of the recovery work to which you refer was done about 30 years ago.
    My point being that the lanscape round here is changing to the extent that some site locations would be nigh impossible to relocate given the sheer numbers involved across the county (3000+?).
    Assemblages of diggers & more organised societies that became disbanded or fell out etc & as this type of activity went out of fashion round here, lead me to wonder whether in fact sites are comprehensively monitored that are under threat from developers in an organised & comprehensive fashion, or who indeed migh be doing so here in West Kent 'for instance'?

Dave

Thanks

The legislation is The Protection of Military Remains Act. The responsible person is the Secretary for State and the delegated responsibility is the Ministry of Defence.

It is due to the legislation that the number of digs dropped.

I suggest getting a copy of the Act from HMSO and the Guidance Notes from the RAF which should answer the questions you have posed here.

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Both the Act and Notes for Guidence are availble online, the act from the Statue Law site and the NfG from the MoD site.

Protection of Military Remains Act:
    http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/legResults.aspx?LegType=All%20Primary&PageNumber=8 &BrowseLetter=P&NavFrom=1&activeTextDocId=13258 19

Notes for Guidence:
    http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/CorporatePublications/PersonnelPublications/SPVA/LicensingOfAviationArchaeology.htm

and

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/WhatWeDo/Personnel/SPVA/AviationArchaeology.htm
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Default Legislation etc

I was aware (in general terms) of the legislation, esp in regard to war graves.

I learnt recently that BoB remains were exhumed every weekend back then.

It was not this I was persuing, but the fact that I cant find any concerted comprehensive attempts to record crash locations, especially non-BoB, with a view to perhaps saving crash sites at risk of development.

But from what you are saying it suggests there is some surveillance taking place of sites esp. where there are possible human remains, that are being developped.

If my concerns are therefore unjustified (and it was only in fact a gut feeling), please excuse any lack of understanding on my part.

Many thanks, Dave