Thread: General Court Martial

Thanks

Default General Court Martial

According to the London Gazette a chap I am researching (Flt Lt Jack Ernest Towlson) was dismissed from the RAF in Feb 1946 by sentence of General Court Martial. Is there any way of finding out what he did to warrant such a punishment?

Any assistance, most gratefully received.

Rgds

Jonny

Thanks

Jonny

Do you know where he was court martialled? Sometimes there is a reference in the Station ORB which gives some more details. The only other option I believe would be to ask for a copy of his service record which might have the details and providing the MOD were willing to grant access.

Regards

Daz

Thanks

Hi Jonny,

Registers of General Courts Martial are available at TNA under AIR 21/2 for trials abroad 1918 to 1960, and AIR 21/3 for trials at home in the same period. Spencer's 'Air Force Records for Family Historians' suggests that these should yield name/rank, place of trial, nature of offence, and sentence. I've not looked at documents in this series so I can't comment further. There are details of other types of Court Martial in the AIR 21 series.

AIR 18 contains the proceedings of all the various Courts Martial between 1941 and 1994 and will presumably present much more detail.

HTH,

Jeff
    Last edited by RecklessRat; 26th September 2009 at 20:37. Reason: Added AIR 18 info

Thanks

Hi Jonny

his crime was fraud. I'll be able to put a bit more meat on the bones when I get home this evening.

Regards

Daz

Thanks

Thanks for all of your assistance, guys. It is very much appreciated.

Kind rgds

Jonny