Thread: Group Captain Vorley Harris

Thanks

Default Group Captain Vorley Harris

Hi All,
    In a previous thread I asked for information on W/C Rankin CO of 37 Squadron in ME 1943 and Air Commodore Gayford whose name at time of query I didn't have. A/C Gayford was OC of 231 Wing of 205 Group ME in 1943. Now I also asked about a G/C Harris who flew as pilot in a short non operational sortie of which included my father as 2nd W/Op. I, having done a search on Google came up with what I am hoping is the correct G/C Harris as named above. Now my question is; Can anyone help to confirm that G/C Vorley Harris was the pilot? There is nothing in the ORB of 37 Squadron due to non operational nature of flight and no mention of A/C Gayford and his visit to 8th Army Headquarters with W/C Rankin in January of 1943. The information I have on G/C Harris is as follows. Born 13/8/1899, P/O 4/7/22, S/Ldr 1/12/36, Temp G/C 1/12/41 retired 15/2/45. He became British Consul in Trabzon Turkey 1949 to 1956. I have been in touch with the son of G/C Harris who has informed me that his father was the chief instructor at the War Academy in Istanbul and Eskisehir from 1941 to 1943. He had spent a lot of time in Aden and Baghdad in the 1920's and 1930's and spoke Arabic. His son is not aware of him being in ME at this time in 1943 but because of his background it could still be possible. I am assuming that G/C Harris was with A/C Gayford's group whilst in ME. Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Regards,
    Rob Jerram.

Thanks

Rob:

You've probably already investigated, but I seem to remember from times I went to the old PRO there were also held there Station Record Books, as opposed to OPERATIONAL Record Books. These contained "Admin" information, as well as the comings and goings of personnel......

Regards,

AndyWis

Thanks

Hi Andy,
    That is an angle I hadn't considered. The problem I would forsee is that 37 Squadron was part of 231 Wing which in turn was part of 205 Group. The administration files would be part I would imagine, of these two latter organisations which I unfortunately do not have and access to them is rather problematical with me living in NZ. Also I would wonder whether such records were kept in that detail when compared to a station, for example Yatebury, which was a permanent base as apposed to the "transient" nature of these organisations which moved with the battle front. Your suggestion has merit and I would welcome comment from other members of the forum who could expand on your suggestion. My thanks for your efforts.

Regards,
    Rob Jerram.