Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 420822 - Unaccounted airmen - 22-8-1942

Thanks

Henk, the pilot of T5145 was one Sgt Lewis Joseph PassoW (1212784), although the am1180 gives PassoN, looking him up in the London Gazette gives him as PassoN when commissioned on 23rd June 1943 (158105) and later an amendment to PassoW.

regards Rich

Thanks

Thanks Rich for info on PASSON (PASSOW).
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Hi Henk,

F1180
    Oxford V4164 confirms
    Brooke
    Kent
    +1 killed, so Mullen

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Ross,
    V4164 in my files with BROOKE, KENT and MULLEN. Thanks for confirmation.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Default St Athans Beaufighter V8389 crash on the 26.8.1942

G'day Gentlemen, my name is Philip M. Hicks - I'm writing this in an attempt to get more information on the crash of Beaufighter V8389 at St. Athans. First may I explain why I 'm doing this some three years after your original posts. I was reading a Daily Mail On-line article on Saturday 10th 2012 about WW2 aircraft crashes in the Peak District of the Pennines. Included was an interactive map of some 120 odd sites. This lead me to look for the same kind of information around South Wales.
    I knew that I had lost an Uncle in a crash of a Beaufighter at St. Athans. At the time I was only five and a half so I didn't know too many details. Just family folk lore! Imagine my my surprise when somehow I had got to this website and the name ' Jack Elford Hicks ' jumped out at me. I'm about 99.99% certain that this person is my late Uncle Jack - my fathers younger brother. The name and rank is exact, the aircraft type is right, the date is the right time frame, I knew that he crashed on take off in August 1942.
    So if any of you are still following this thread and have any more information can you please post it or if it is too extensive, e-mail me at < pandmhicks@tadaust.org.au > Incidently I am still in contact with his son - Jack, who was born in the May of 1943 following the crash. His wife Joy, of only four months at the time of the crash is still alive, she is now in her 90's. That is as of correspondence a few months ago.
    So any information will be gratefully received and carefully read.
    My regards,
    Philip M. Hicks.
    Ex. RAF - Ser. #588972 [ A Halton Brat ]

Quote Originally Posted by CZ_RAF View Post
    Hi chaps, unfortunately I am not able to find the reports for Aug-Sept 1942:-(
    But in the extract from NO. 32 MU ORB which I have available:

22.8.42 Beaufighter V8389 from 19 MU crashed on this station, the crew 82563 F/O J. Nejezchleba (Czech)(pilot), 104670 P/O W. A. Ward and F/Sgt (W.E.M.) J. E. Hicks being killed. A Court of Enquiry is being held and the proceedings will be forwarded through the usual channels.

26.8.42 Funeral of F/O Nejezchleba and Sgt. J. E. Hicks.

C of I:
    Accident due to trimming tab control being crossed, thus reversing their normal function. The pilot was unable to hold the nose down and stalled in steep climb after take off.

Pavel
    Also from Malcolm_RAF on 5th Oct. 2009 :-

HICKS, JACK ELFORD Flt Sgt 571677
    NEJEZCHLEBA, JOSEF Fg Off 82563 and
    WARD, WILLIAM ANTHONY (TONY) Plt Off 104670

Thanks

1197401 AC1 Richard James Pryce (Age 27) died of natural causes (further details not recorded) Burial location; Deane (St. Mary) Churchyard, Greater Manchester.
    He was an Armourer serving with 151 Sqn, RAF Wittering

Tony H

Thanks

Hello

Cpl Eric N. TOBY - 942688 - the Lancaster Guardian of August 28th 1942 reported the following:

TWO KILLED IN CRASH
    An accident in the Garstang to Blackpool road, at Larbeck, in which two motor cyclists were involved, has ended in a double tragedy. Both the men, Corporal Eric Norman Toby (21), R.A.F., son of a Squadron Leader, and stationed in the north west, and Thomas Henry Pearson (26), farm labourer, of Landhouse Cottage, St. Michaels-on-Wyre, died in a Service hospital on Saturday afternoon.
    The accident was discovered by a motor-lorry driver, who found both motor-cycles lying in the raod on fire, with Toby amnd Pearson, both seriously injured, nearby.

Regards

Simon