Thread: 75 Sqdn info

Thanks

Default 75 Sqdn info

Hi

I have seen offfers of assistance with the 75 Sqdn records, and wonder if anyone would be able to answer a question for me. I'm researching the war service of my partner's uncle, F/O D A Cotton, who was a navigator in 75 Sqdn from 31/3/45 to 4/10/45. Is it possible to find out what ops he was on?

According to notes in his personnel record he flew only 14 hr (or 13:45 according to one source) on operations, and that his first operational sortie was Potsdam 14 April. I'd guess there was only one other operational sortie, and it was most likely to have been before 18 April (as that's when one of the documents, his AF381, was signed).

But in other places he suggests he also flew on Lincolns and accumulated 109 hr with 75 Sqdn after 18 April. Any thoughts on whether that would have been Manna missions, POW repatriation or training for the Pacific? I presume that anything after 7 or 8 May would not have counted as 'operational' flying.

Many thanks,
    Andrew

Thanks

Hi Andrew
    As a start, his Lincoln flying would have been short lived with 75 Sqn. They received Lincolns in Sept '45 and disbanded on 15 Oct '45. The Lincoln flying is likely to have been with another Sqn. 75 was always associated with New Zealand right through the war although not all it's personnel were New Zealanders and on disbandment in Oct'45 the Sqn number was transferred to the RNZAF and will no longer be used by the RAF. .The chances are it was meant for the Far East but that war ended in Aug'45. Prior to Sept '45 the Sqn had Lancasters from Mar '44 so he probably did his ops on those,I don't think that Lincolns were involved in Operation Manna with 75 Sqn . The info on a/c changes etc comes from Jefford's "RAF Squadrons
    Try ,via Google, the site for the village of Feltwell in E Anglia.This was home to 75 Sqn in it's early Wellington days and this is acknowledged on the village site. There may be contacts whose time on the Sqn stretches into the period you are looking at when the Sqn had moved away and re-equipped
    Hope this helps a bit
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 10th October 2009 at 11:10.

Thanks

Andrew

75 Sq. ops after Potsdam on 14/15 April were Heligoland Naval Base (18 April) Regensburg (20 April) Bremen (22 April) Bad Oldesloe (24 April) then 'Operation Manna' (29 April - 8 May dropping supplies to Delft and or the Hague apart from Rotterdam on April 30 & May 8).
    Forever Strong - The Story of 75 Sq. RNZAF 1916-1990 - Norman Franks

Thanks

Andrew,
    Have extracted following information from the 75 (NZ) Squadron history notes; seems to echo all that the details on RAF Commands except for name of his captain, should read "Terry" Ford rather than Terry Smith! There was no captain by the name of Terry Smith with 75 Squadron.
    David D

FORD, Flying Officer Terrence Arthur (“Terry”), RAFVR (& crew).
    1585520, 152112 Pilot 75 Sqn 27 August 1944 to 7 January 1945. Crew members were: N) F/O R C Weeden; AB) F/O N C Chapman; WOp) F/Sgt G J Tredinnick; FE) Sgt E Muller; MUG) Sgt B Glover; RG) Sgt H Fitzwater. Crew on ops 31/8 – 6-7/12/44. Appointed to commission in rank of P/O w.e.f. 7/5/43, to F/O w.e.f. 7/11/43, to F/L w.e.f. 7/5/45; still in 4/46 RAF List (nil decorations).

CHAPMAN, Flying Officer Neill Creagh, RAFVR.
    1624304, 153939 Air Bomber 75 Sqn 27 August 1944 to X December 1944. Crewed with F/O T A Ford, on ops 31/8 – 6-7/12/44. Appointed to commission in rank of P/O (ex LAC) w.e.f. 29/10/43, as F/O w.e.f. 29/4/44, to F/L w.e.f. 29/10/45; still in 4/46 RAF list (nil decorations).

Thanks

David.

Thanks very much for posting a reply. I hope you’ll bear with me and explain a little more — I can’t figure out the link between these two guys and Dawson Cotton. Dawson didn’t come on to the squadron until 31/3/45, so it seems he wouldn’t have overlapped with Ford or Chapman. Can you perhaps clarify the connection?

And thanks to others for the earlier replies:

Dick. Dawson flew in action with only 75 Sqdn, so I assume his Lincoln experience was between when the squadron received them in September and when he left the squadron on 4 October. It might have been only one flight.

The 109 hours, if he did do that, would have mostly been on Lancasters. I’m still not sure whether he could have racked up 109 hours after 18 April and before he left the squadron on 4 October: whether on Manna missions, repatriating POWs, or training for the Pacific theatre.

John. Thanks for the information on other missions, after 14/15 April and before VE Day. If Dawson flew only one more after Potsdam, and that’s just a conclusion from his operational hours, then it would have been on one of those.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David Duxbury View Post
    Andrew,
    Have extracted following information from the 75 (NZ) Squadron history notes; seems to echo all that the details on RAF Commands except for name of his captain, should read "Terry" Ford rather than Terry Smith! There was no captain by the name of Terry Smith with 75 Squadron.
    David D

FORD, Flying Officer Terrence Arthur (“Terry”), RAFVR (& crew).
    1585520, 152112 Pilot 75 Sqn 27 August 1944 to 7 January 1945. Crew members were: N) F/O R C Weeden; AB) F/O N C Chapman; WOp) F/Sgt G J Tredinnick; FE) Sgt E Muller; MUG) Sgt B Glover; RG) Sgt H Fitzwater. Crew on ops 31/8 – 6-7/12/44. Appointed to commission in rank of P/O w.e.f. 7/5/43, to F/O w.e.f. 7/11/43, to F/L w.e.f. 7/5/45; still in 4/46 RAF List (nil decorations).

CHAPMAN, Flying Officer Neill Creagh, RAFVR.
    1624304, 153939 Air Bomber 75 Sqn 27 August 1944 to X December 1944. Crewed with F/O T A Ford, on ops 31/8 – 6-7/12/44. Appointed to commission in rank of P/O (ex LAC) w.e.f. 29/10/43, as F/O w.e.f. 29/4/44, to F/L w.e.f. 29/10/45; still in 4/46 RAF list (nil decorations).

Hi David.

Neill Chapman was my uncle.

Sadly he died in a civilian plane crash in 1968.

Can you tell me more about his RAF time please?

Thanks

jcms69
    Sadly I cannot tell you anything else about Chapman, as my main interest in this matter was 75 (NZ) Squadron. Also as you may have guessed, I have posted this message on the wrong thread.

Andrew,
    Sorry for the confusion; as mentioned above, when I got around to posting the rely above, I inadvertently placed it on the wrong thread. However I can tell you that 75 (NZ) Sqdn only ever received two Lincolns and they certainly never flew any operations (arrived months after VE day, in fact they hardly flew at all with the squadron. So "normal" crews with the squadron would not have much chance of a ride in one.
    David D

Thanks

Thanks David

How would I go about finding where Neil come from to arrive at 75. He would have been last an OCU maybe?

Afterwards I believe he was in India in intelligence around 1946, right after after his tour with 75 I guess that he may have been an instructor, as pilots seems to have been, teaching new boys the role of air bomber?