Thread: Wallon Region of Belgium...

Thanks

Default Wallon Region of Belgium...

Hello all,

Are there any members on this site from the Wallon region of Belgium who know anything about the Resistance in that area in 1944 please?

Also, does anybody know what “DARLANT-MED” means? On a memorial in that area, the names of 6 Lancaster crewmembers are recorded and “DARLANT-MED” is written after the 6th name. I know that the 7th crewmember parachuted from the aircraft and his name does not appear on the memorial, so does it mean unknown?

Thanks in advance,

Gus

Thanks

Default Wallon region

Hello Gus

Could you tell where is the Memorial located ?

Thank you

René from somewhere in Wallonia

Thanks

Hello Rene,

Thanks for replying, the memorial is at Werbomont, I have a picture if you want to see the wording...

Regards,

Gus

Thanks

hello,

I don't know if you have checked the basics, such as Bill Chorley's BCL volume 5 (1944) and the C.W.G.C.. Actually the airman who bailed out from the Lancaster joined the Belgian resistance but was then killed during combats on the ground. Here is his entry in the C.W.G.C. database :

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2726823

Note the date of death is 21st August 1944.

As he was a member of the R.A.A.F., a quick check in the National Archives of Australia shows that both his service record and casualty file are already digitised :

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/Items_listing.asp?S=1&F=1&O=0&T=I&C=3

If you read the Casualty File (A705), which is quite long with 109 pages, have a look at pages 11,12, 14 and 15. It gives us the cemeteries where he was initially buried, where he landed (Troispont), etc...

There are actually a few spelling errors on the memorial in Werbomont. Judging by its aspect, it must have been erected a long time ago, probably in the late 40es or 50es.

Belgian forumites will tell us, I hope, but I think that Darlant-Med could be the name of a local resistance group which organised the building and unveiling of the memorial. They were probably not aware of the fate of A.T. TILL.

HTH

Joss

Thanks

Hello Gus/Joss,

12/13-8-1944 was not the first occasion that AUS410756 Alwyn Terence TILL RAAF, found the need to abandon his aircraft.

21-22 Jan 1944
    No.76 Sqn
    Halifax V LK630:NP-D
    Op: Magdenburg[sic]

Took off 2005 Holme-on-Spalding Moor. Shortly after becoming airborne, the aircraft began to vibrate quite alarmingly, possibly due to heavy icing. Realising he was rapidly losing control of the situation, F/S Firth ordered his crew to bale out, but before he could make good his own escape, the Halifax crashed 2025 just to the N of Hotham, 10 miles WSW of Beverley, Yorkshire. He is buried in Fulford Burial ground at York.

F/S E Firth +
    Sgt G L Young Inj.
    F/S R Pedrazzini
    F/S A T Till*
    Sgt J H C Ross
    Sgt J H Morgan
    Sgt F R Holledge

* Not identified as RAAF

See:
    Royal Air Force Bomber Command Losses of the Second World War Vol.5 1944
    Chorley,W R
    Earl Shilton:Midland Counties Pubs.,1997
    p.44

Note the presence of Pedrazzini,Ross,Morgan and Holledge.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 10th October 2009 at 21:49. Reason: minor correction

Thanks

Default Wallon region

Hello Gus,

If you could send the photo at the following adress, it will permit me to have an idea.

Will do my best to find the answer.

reneDOTromainvilleATskynetDOTbe

Best regards

René

Thanks

Rene,

Take a look here:

http://www.warandtactics.com/smf/ardennes-pictures/werbomont-raf-bomber-squad-memorial/

Col.

Thanks

Default Wallon region

Hello Col,

Thank you for the link.

As soon that I will have information I will inform the forum

Best regards

Rene

Thanks

Hello all,

Thanks for all the comments on this thread to date… I have family links with one of the airman named on the memorial and I sincerely wish I’d known you gentleman when I first started my research. The information you have written here in a few hours took me a long time to find when I started out!

Joss, I recently made contact with a relative of one of the other crewmember who is listed on the memorial. For years we’d believed that Alwyn Terence Till was killed in a fire-fight whilst ambushing German troops. The crewmember’s relative told me a different story about Alwyn Till’s death. Al Till’s NAofA file contains documents which alert you to the possibility that he may have been captured by the Germans and executed...

Col, thanks for your input too. Sgt G L Young is the mystery from that crew... He was injured when he landed after bailing out of that aircraft. After that, I have no idea what happened to him… All I know is that he is not listed as a WWII C.W.G.C. casualty.

Actually, does anyone have or know of a database that searches by service number? A shot in the dark to see if Sgt Young ever returned to operational duty… but his service number is 1815659.

Rene, you’ve seen the link that Col kindly pasted regarding the Werbomont memorial… I not sure about this but something in the back of my mind is now saying that “Darlant-Med” either made the memorial or were the company that designed it. Have you got any thoughts on this please? Also, have you any ideas on how I can find information on the Maquis in that area please?

Regards,

Gus

Thanks

Default Wallon region

Hello Gus,

I am planning to write to the burgomaster of the town. I will ask him if he know about the name and Memorial or if he can provide name of a person with the knowledge (like a historical person of the area).

As soon I received some info I will write them on the board.

Have a good weekend

René