Thread: 440526 - Unaccounted airmen 26 May 1944

Thanks

Default Unaccounted airmen 26 May 1944

Looking for aircraft, place and possible cause of crash of French Aircrew (BLOT/PONTON/FICHBACH) dead on 26 may 1944 when they were posting on 20 OTU.

TIA

Bertrand

Thanks

Hi Bertrand
    The incident involving your 3 Airmen took place during the night of 25-26/5/44 when they left Lossiemouth for a night X-Country exercise, during which they encountered severe icing at 15000ft.They descended to 7000ft but it did not improve and they were all ordered to prepare to abandon the a/c.Before anyone did the captain felt a slight improvement in the a/c handling and attempted a force landing at what he thought was an airfield.In fact he came down at a place called Bunker Hill about 1 ml E of the town of Consett in County Durham.4 died and 3 were injured by the crash and fire but not seriously.Those who died were:-
    Capt R Richard the pilot
    Lt R Blot
    S/Lt A Pontin
    and Sgt J Fischbach.
    The 3 injured were
    Lt J Vles
    Sgt J Foury-Lavergne
    and Sgt G Allain
    They were all FFAF and the a/c was Wellington X ME553, JM-F
    This comes from W Chorley, Bomber Command Losses, Vol 7 who has no information as to where the dead were buried and believes that they may have been re-patriated to France after 1945 having been first laid to rest in Harrogate
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Many thanks Dick for your ultra quick and precise reply !.

René Richard (died some days after the crash) and Raoul Blot are buried in the Brookwood cemetery.

Bertrand

Thanks

Thaks all.
    Bertrand: Do you know the matricules of the crew and first names and burial locations of PONTIN and FISCHBACH ?
    Dick: ME553 was never allotted to any aircraft; correct serial was MF553 and ME553 may have been a printing error in Chorley's BCL-OTU.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Hi Henk,

Sgt Jean-Lucien FISCHBACH, Matricule 190 (Came from North Africa). I do not know if he had a bristish/french service number and Alexandre PONTON. I have nothing on him

HTH

Bertrand

Thanks

Thanks Bertrand; enjoy the weekend,
    Henk.

Thanks

Hello

The re-arrangment of some old threads by the new mods brought up this old query.

I have a Guy Soury-Lavergne (S, not F), service number 37968, who was shot down on 2 November 1944 during a raid against Dusselforf. He was by then a member of No. 347 Squadron (aka "Tunisie") from Elvington. He filed an evasion report which can be found in WO 3208/3324 (#2747). He was the rear gunner of his Halifax crew

Just my two pence Worth, as I think this is the same man.

Joss

Thanks

Hello,

It should also be noted, that Lt J Vles FFAF did not survive the war. He was aboard No.346 (Guyenne) Sqn Halifax III NA558, which failed to return from attacking Bochum on 4-5 November, 1944. (BCL5/476).

Col.