Thread: W/O 2 N.G. REDMAN, 425 Squadron, 20/21 February 1944

Thanks

Default W/O 2 N.G. REDMAN, 425 Squadron, 20/21 February 1944

Hello,

I haven't been able to find a PoW questionnaire for W/O 2 (later commissionned ?) N.G. REDMAN, the wireless operator of Halifax III LW390 KW-J of No. 425 Squadron, which was shot down by a night fighter and crashed at Souastre, in the Pas-de-Calais, in the early hours of 21st February 1944. Pilot P/O Allan Halford WAITE, J/87659 was the only casualty of the crew, and was taken by the Germans for burial in Monchy-Breton. C.W.G.C. doesn't give any background for this pilot (age, parents, hometown of parents, etc...)

I'd welcome any details about N.G. REDMAN, especially his first names, and about A.H. WAITE.

TIA

Joss

Thanks

Joss,

There is an 'In Memory Of' certificate at the following site:

http://www.westvan60.com/pdfinfoE/WAITE%20A.H.pdf

Martyn

Thanks

hello

Thanks Martyn for this page. It gives some more details about this Halifax pilot. Monchy-Breton was used by a German tactical reconnaissance flight, and it seems that it was personnel from that Luftwaffe airfield that recovered his body. He may have been buried in a larger British cemetery, for exemple at Saint-Pol sur Ternoise, but the Germans probably elected to bury him nearer their own airfield.

Joss

Thanks

Always worth trying the Democracy at war newspapers on the Canadian War Museum. Not sure how well this link will work but google 'Democracy at War"

http://collections.civilisations.ca/warclip/pages/warclip/AdvQueryE.php?lang=0
    Globe and Mail, 1944/04/11

Prisoner of War (Germany).
    REDMAN, Neil Gilbert, WO. Mrs. N. G. Redman (wife), 26, McNay St., London. Ont.

Check the whitepages.ca to see if there is still that name in London, Ontario
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

hello,

Thanks Dennis,

I actually tried the Globe and Mail site, but couldn't find an archive part in it. I remember our Canadian members (Bill Walker for example) frequently referring to it, but I failed to find it on my own.

If I understand correctlythe URL you provide, the archived issues of Globe and mail are not on this newspaper's site, but in another archive dedicated site. It makes sense in a way.

Thanks for the tip and for the information. Another brick in the wall...

Joss

Thanks

There is a Canadian government museum site which contains a collection of war time clippings, mostly from a Hamilton, Ontario paper. Many of the clippings are official government press releases. I haven't found a good way to search within the clippings (by name for example) beyond the poor searcher provided at the site, but it still makes interesting reading. A grand way to waste time. Has anybody else figured out a better way to search within this collection?

http://www.warmuseum.ca/cwm/exhibitions/newspapers/intro_e.shtml

Thanks

hello,

Thanks Bill for this extra tip. I've been able to find some details about R.C.A.F. casualties fallen in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais (in northern France) through the site mentionned by Dennis. In some cases there were portraits of the casualties. Even if the resolution is poor, it's better than nothing.

I'll try the link you also provided.

Cheers

Joss