Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jack Alcock R.A.F. collaborator

Thanks

Default Jack Alcock R.A.F. collaborator

I am looking for information about Jack Alcock shot down Aug/Sept 1943 in a Halifax on an operation over Mannheim.

Alcock was accused of collaborating with the enemy at Dulug Luft by representing himself as a Red Cross official and disclosing information about "Monica."

I would be grateful if anyone can shed further light on this and the results of his court martial.

Regards, David.

Thanks

Hello David,

RAF Flt Sgt Jack Alcock received a two-year prison sentence at his court martial at Uxbridge.

See:
    Letting the Side Down:British Traitors of the Second World War
    Murphy,Sean
    Stroud:Sutton Publishing,2003'
    p.222

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 22nd October 2009 at 16:23. Reason: minor correction

Thanks

Thanks Col Bruggy. Seems a light sentence to me.

Do you know what sentence Raymond Hughes received?

What do you know of a Sq/Ldr. Carpenter that was associated with Alcock and Hughes?

Thanks, David

Thanks

David,

Air gunner Raymond Davies Hughes, who made broadcasts in Welsh on Radio Metropole, was given a five-year sentence at his court martial at Uxbridge.

Same ref; p.222

Another POW, Sqn Ldr George Robert Carpenter, who had been shot down over Holland, was taken to Berlin to broadcast alongside Purdy*. the RAF man refused point-blank to collaborate with the Nazis, and later recalled Purdy was a man worthy of the traitor tag.

*Sub-Lt Roy Walter Purdy RN.

p.94
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 22nd October 2009 at 17:08. Reason: minor correction

Thanks

Default Flt Sgt Alcock, Sgt R Hughes, S/ Ldr G R Carpenter

According to Oliver Clutton Brock "Footprints in the Sands of Time" p. 190, Alcock was was shot down on 5/6 September 1943 and gave the enemy at Dulag Luft a great deal of information on RAF formations, aircraft and secret radar equipment. his courtmartial began on 27 August 1945 and he was convicted under Section 4(5) of the Air Force act and found guilty of voluntarily helping the enemy. He was reduced in rank, discharged with ignominy and given 4 years penal servitude, remitted to 2 years imprisonment with hard labour.

Welshman Sgt Raymond Davies Hughes, (p187) from Mold, Flintshire, was a mid upper gunner of a 467 Lanc shot down & captured on his 21st op on 17/18 August 1943 (Peenemunde). He said, during interrogation that he would like to work for the German Intelligence Service and did so, masquerading as Herr Becker, getting unsuspecting airmen to complete bogus Red Cross interrogation forms.

Flt Sgt R G Wellington (RAAF) was shot down over the Scheldt Estuary on 3/4 October and was interviewed by Hughes who he recognised instantly. They had served together on 467 Squadron!

He was subsequently moved to Berlin where he masqueraded as as John Charles Baker and wrote scripts for broadcasting on radio. By Decmber 1943 was earning 350 marks a month from the German Foreign Office. Hughes was court martialled at Uxbridge 0n 23/8/45 and found guilty of voluntarily helping the enemy while a PIOW and accepting a salary from the enemy while a POW. He was found guilty and reduced to the ranks, discharged with ignominy and given 5 years penal servitude. In July 1948 King George VI was pleased to command that that the unexpired portion of the penal servitude remaining to be completely remitted. Hughes had lost 26 days for insolence and misconduct and was not relaeaed from Dartmoor until 20 January 1949.

S/L George Robert Carpenter (p.188) was removed, in civilian clothing from Dulag Luft on or about 1/10/43. He was moved to Berlin and assumed the identity of Herr Carter where he met Hughes on a number of occasions. Hughes alleged that he and Carpenter had been involved in sabotaging 432 telephone kiosks and that Carpenter suddenly disappeared in January 1944. Hughes alleges that Carpenter had been arrested by the Gestapo and that the German Foreign Office had told him Carpenter had been shot. However, it seems he was involved in a number of shoplifting offences and, after being tried and found guilt was returned as a POIW to Stalg Luft III where, in Hut 106 nobody knew what to make of him.

Following correspondence between the Judge Advocate General and the Special Investigation Branch (RAF) it was decided on 21 November 1945 to take no further action against him.

Thanks

Thanks Wee Gerry. Do you know anything about an officer associate of Carpenter by the name of Group Captain D.E.L. Wilson R.A.A.F?

I'm interested in this as my father was in Dulug Luft and was interviewed by a bogus Red Cross official but I don't know if it was Hughes or Alcock, both who would have been at Dulug Luft around the same time as my father, early Ocober 1943.
    Last edited by David Layne; 23rd October 2009 at 05:20.

Thanks

Douglas Ernest Lancelot WILSON - second pilot of Halifax DK224. His casualty file is available at the NAA:

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/imagine.asp?B=1082497&I=1&SE=1

A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks

Col Bruggy.

You quote the book Letting the Side Down:British Traitors of the Second World War
    Murphy,Sean
    Stroud:Sutton Publishing,2003'

I have an interest in a Polish Pilot also at the Dulag Luft and who associated with Squadron Leader Carpenter. He was called Zuromski, could you please advise if this person is mentioned at all. Thank you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amrit View Post
    Douglas Ernest Lancelot WILSON - second pilot of Halifax DK224. His casualty file is available at the NAA:

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/imagine.asp?B=1082497&I=1&SE=1

A
    Thanks Amrit.

Thanks

Hello Colin,

No mention of Zuromski in; 'Letting the Side Down'.

Col.