Thread: RAF Cranfield 1941/2 - name of commanding officer

Thanks

Default RAF Cranfield 1941/2 - name of commanding officer

My father's first posting when he joined the RAF was to RAF Cranfield in 1941. He was a dentist. I am researching his time in the RAF and am trying to discover the name of the commanding officer at Cranfield at this time. Can anyone help? I understand that 51 Night fighter Operational Training Unit was based there from August 1941.

Thanks

I have a little more information about this person: he was in India early in his career;[FONT=arial, sans-serif] he was in fact at RAF Cranfield in 1943/4 - I think 1941 was inaccurate; he was most likely part of R.U. 151 Wevelgem in Belgium in late 1944; and he had a reputation for 'dare-devil' flying. Any suggestions or his identity would be very welcome. [/FONT]

Thanks

Hello

I confirm Flight Lieutenant W. STARK, dental branch, posted to No. 151 Repair Unit (Aircraft) on 28th November 1944, service number 144365.

Are you looking for the names of all the pilots of No. 151 RU(A) ? I'm not sure to understand your question

Joss

Thanks

Hi Joss - thank you for replying to my post. Let me explain: my father (Norman Stark) was posted to RAF Cranfield in about 1943 - following which he went to Belgium as a wartime dental technician. My dad died in 2011 and I am making a video of his life based around some filmed interviews that he gave to my brother in the early 2000s. One of the stories he tells is about becoming friendly with the commanding officer at RAF Cranfield in 1943 - and how he then (we believe) met this officer while posted in Belgium and was given an (informal) lift by this officer in his plane back to the UK. Apparently the officer had what my dad describes as a reputation as a 'dare devil' pilot - flying single seater planes. So I am trying to find out the name of the officer - and from that, obtain a photo of him. The only other facts I know is that he (the officer that is, not my dad) was in India early in his career, and i suspect was part of R.U. 151 Wevelgem in Belgium in 1944. I have a group photo of R.U. 151 which might prove helpful. Thanks again...

Thanks

Hello

Group Captain H.L. MESSITER was the C.O. of No. 151 R.U.(A). There are too many names in the unit's O.R.B. for me to type here, and many officers in this unit were not pilots.

If you want a copy of the records I have, e-mail me (my e-mail address is in my profile, click on my name in the top left corner).

Regards