Thread: Hurricane help

Thanks

Default Hurricane help

Hurricane 1 P3876

Hurricane 1 P3080

Sorry to bang on about these 2 BoB serials but I would be most interested to learn if anyone has access to the full record of their services.

It seems mysterious that they were not investigated, to the same extent as similar contemporary losses around Tunbridge Wells in Kent, in the 70's & 80's & wondered if perhaps subsequently they might have been looked at by one or other local Museums?

I would be interested in the possibility that they in fact fell outside of the 'Old Royal Borough' in one of the adjoining Parishes, like Pembury.

Alternatively please can anyone direct me further?

Dave
    Last edited by david cullen; 26th October 2009 at 17:09.

Thanks

Hello Dave,

FCL vol 1 has it that for P3080 "YO-C" its pilot F/O. A.D.Nesbitt Baled out over Tunbridge after combat with an Me109 at 1210 hrs. pilot was wounded.
    While for P3876 it has Shot down by Me109 in the same action, its pilot F/O. R. Smither being killed and buried at Brookwood Cemetery age 27.

"Men of the battle of Britain" has photo's of both pilots.

I would assume that at least P3876 crashsite was investigated at the time otherwise how and by whome was the pilot recovered ? There must be record of this kept somewhere.

Alex
    Last edited by Alex Smart; 27th October 2009 at 01:46.

Thanks

Many thanks Alex, its kind. In fact legend has it he was machine gunned on the parachute, poor man.

I was rather concerned I might get boycotted, as a result of what's gone on on another forum, in connection with my assertion, that a certain book I was using was in fact worthy of the paper it was written on (but thats another issue).
    I think the crashcard repository at Hendon is where I might get a glimpse, closer to the true location/s. Although its hard to know if its still there until I apply as I was told that in its first phase, the Archaelogical fraternity had somewhat laid this facility bare!

If you yourself need a crash card I was kindly told to apply on line here BTW to:

peter.devitt@rafmuseum.org

Not sure whats 'free' however,

Cheers again, Dave