Thread: F/S Demont Marcel A H 1311761

Thanks

Default F/S Demont Marcel A H 1311761

F/S Demont Marcel August Henri 1311761 RAF 226 Sqdn died on 22/09/1942 , he's buried on the Middelkerke Communal Cemetery in Belgium.Who ca help me with additional information ?

Thanks already
    Alain12

Thanks

Hi Alain,

The following is taken from BCL Vol.3 - W R. Chorley

22 September 1942
    226 Squadron
    Boston III AL685 MQ-Z
    Op. Power Stations

Sgt. M A H. Dermont +
    P/O. R W. Andrew +
    Sgt. W E R. Wareham +

Took off 1050 Swanton Morley to bomb power stations in northern France. All rest in Middelkerke Communal Cemetery, Belgium

Hope this is a help.

Regards
    Peter.

Thanks

hello,

No. 226 Squadron lost two Bostons that day, the other force-landed near Béthune (France). The crew of three survived, the pilot Maurice Collins evaded capture. His observer and wopag were captured, the former being one of the unfortunate 50 who were shot after "the Great Escape").

AL685 was shot down by a german fighter of JG 26, and from memory, it was claimed by Klaus Mietusch.

Joss

Thanks

Joss,
    Wasn't the pilot Sgt Maurice A. COLLIS - 1324325 ? He became PoW L3-447. P/O Harold J. MILFORD - 103586 the unfortunate crewmember being murdered 6-4-1944.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Hello Henk,

Sorry to contradict you, but Maurice Archer Collins evaded capture. I've been in touch with one French family who helped him.

His escape & Evasion report is in WO208/3312, report 1145.

I got in touch with him directly, in 2002, but he wasn't really willing to expand into a long correspondance, so I didn't bother him any more. He gave the following details about him and the mission :

He enlisted in July 1940. Initial Flying Training at Marshalls airfield, Cambridge, then Rissington for twin engine training. Upwood for conversion on Blenheims. In December 1941 to Swanton Morley for conversion to Bostons.

The 22nd September 1942 mission was his 11th ops. They were flying at low level (30-40 meters high) and were shot by 20 mm cannon fire. He crash-landed north of Béthune.

He reached Gibraltar on 28th March 1943. He returned to No. 226 Squadron and flew another 90 missions before being taken off operational duties. Then posted to RAF delegation in Washington. On his return in November 1945, he was posted to the Empire Air Navigation School at Shawbury. During a training flight his crew and he had bo bale out over Spain. [the details should be found in the corresponding Cummings' volume]. He was demobbed in 1945

Harold John Milford was the unfortunate observer.

George Nicholls was the wopag. Maurice wrote me that "he has bad memories and does not [want] to talk about Germans and his prison camp."

Interestingly, the loss card for AL685 has the 3 names Demont-Milford-Wareham, with Demont and Wareham crossed, and Collins and Nicholls added after, as a correction.

There was an article about Maurice Collins, in Aero Journal n° 43, June-July 2005. Title is "L'évadé de la Saint Maurice", by Martin W. BOWMAN, translated and adapted by Jacques SERVANT.

Joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 29th October 2009 at 18:08.

Thanks

Thanks Joss for correcting me. Now I found that "my" COLLIS became PoW on Lancaster ND984 of 300 Sqn.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Thanks gentleman for the help.

Alain12