Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NE125 - Op to Brunswick 22/23 May 1944

Thanks

Default NE125 - Op to Brunswick 22/23 May 1944

Hi All

49 Squadron's ORBs state that the above was “Missing without trace. All are buried in Becklingen War Cemetery” and I understand that Chorley is no more informative

In fact, the crew were re-interred in a collective grave and I am anxious to find out where they were first buried as that might lead to ascertaining where the aircraft crashed. Having asked the CWGC for that info I eagerly await their reply

Meanwhile, I also understand that, in the past, material has appeared on the Forum derived from German Police records, Flak units and Night fighter units and if anyone can quote from any of them which may give a lead as to where, and how, the Lancaster was brought down I should be very grateful

Regards,
    Aubrey

Thanks

Dear Aubrey,

Lancaster II NE125 crashed 0105 at Hagen E Brake. It was shot down by Flak and a night-fighter. First burial place is unknown to me, but either CWGC will give the answer or the service record of F/O Johnson.

kind regards

Steve

Thanks

Hi Steve

Thank you for your reply in this matter

However, you may recall that you supplied me with similar info on the 3rd October in response to my posting re F/O Sinden

When thanking you for your input I mentioned that the squadron’s targets were Dortmund and Brunswick, about 140 miles apart, with the subject aircraft going to Brunswick. Isn’t it more likely that the crash at Hagen, slightly South of Dortmund, was more likely to have been an aircraft involved in the op to that city?

Subsequently, Henk Welting posted on that thread for your attention but it would appear that you didn’t see it

Furthermore, with Becklingen War Cemetery North of Hannover, Brunswick would be within its catchment area

So may I ask the source of your info about Hagen?

I’m sorry to look a gift horse in the mouth but I would respectfully suggest that you got some duff gen which you then passed on in good faith

However, I look forward to hearing from you

Regards,
    Aubrey

Thanks

I think you may have the wrong Hagen, Aubrey. As Steve's posted, there's one about 10km ENE of Brake, which in its turn is about 35km NW of Bremen, or 25km SW of Bremerhaven. You've mentioned the Hagen south of Dortmund.

Sorry if I've gone off at half-cock, will have a look at the other thread for Henk's info.

Thanks

Hi Aubrey,

Steve is also correct when he says that the information required could be found in the service file of F/O Johnson, the Canadian aboard this aircraft:

http://www.bomberhistory.co.uk/49squadron/Roll%20of%20honour/Roll_IJK/Johnson_WGW.html

As an example of how assumptions can often be incorrect re place of crash, original place of burial vs final place, etc (and this is in Steve's area of research):

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2825

Regards,

Dave
    Last edited by alieneyes; 29th October 2009 at 07:41.

Thanks

Thank youi mhuxt and Dave for your posts and for correcting me

The phrase "Fools rush in" springs to mind but, unfortunately, my atlas does not show the correct area in detail so I will try Google Maps when I've sent this

The vicinity of Bremen certainly ties in with Becklingen

Whilst I had noted Steve's suggestion that RCAF records could help I have not yet contacted them as I was awaiting the CWGC's reponse

Meanwhile, I will apologise to Steve and repeat my thanks to you for putting me right

Regards,
    Aubrey

Thanks

No worries Aubrey.

Try this site for good place names in Germany:

http://www.de.map24.com/

Works best if you put in two names, for example if you put in Brake and Hagen, it will indeed give you the wrong Hagen. However, if you look closely at the results, you'll see there is a drop-down box next to the place name and post code provided. Click on the arrow, and you'll see the other possibilities. The one you want is "Hagen im Bremeschen ..."

It will sometimes even work for place names which are now in Polish territory and hence have had their names changed - if I recall correctly it will accept "Stettin", though "Sczecin" (sp?) shows up on the map.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks

Hi Steve

You may have already seen the recent posts of mhuxt and Dave and, therefore, had prior notice of this one

I unreservedly apologise for having queried the accuracy of the info that you kindly sent me - twice. You probably thought that it needed another knock to get it into my thick head

I thought hard before my first reply to you but, in the absence of any response to Henk's message, the Hagen (South of Dortmund) was still uppermost in my mind

Furthermore, it was good to see that your referral to RCAF records was seconded

I'm reminded of another saying "Sometimes it is better to keep silent and merely look foolish than to open one's mouth (or write) and remove all possible doubt"

So, renewed apologies for my gaffe

Regards,
    Aubrey

Thanks

Hi Mark

Thank you for your message that arrived whilst I was composing my apology to Steve and for the referral to a good website for German place names

I'm pleased to report that today I'm living - and learning!

Regards,
    Aubrey
    Last edited by Aubrey; 29th October 2009 at 11:24. Reason: Typo

Thanks

Heheheh, indeed. The wonders of the internet.

I'm so glad Ross decided to keep this site going despite the despicable and constant spam attacks it was suffering some time back. Huzzah!