Thread: P.O.W.'s threated by Cossacks.

Thanks

Default P.O.W.'s threated by Cossacks.

I am curious as to whether anyone has any information as to the following story.

My father was a P.O.W. who endured the Winter March from Stalag Luft III and also the Spring March from Marlag Milag.

He told me that one one of these marches they were approached by mounted Cossack troops who used threatening behaviour towards them, much sabre rattleing etc. but eventually left them unmolested.

I am aware that Cossack troops also fought on the German side against the Russians and would be grateful for further details of this occurence.

Thanks

David

In Roderick Bailey's excellent book 'Forgotten Voices of The Secret War' covering SOE operations during the war he has a quote from Lt Stephen Dale a captured SOE officer who states that he was captured by the Waffen SS in Northern Italy and comments that "Funnily enough there were lots of Cossacks among them. I realised they were Cossacks not only because I did not understand their language but also because of their Cossack hats and Cossack sabres, which looked absolutely ludicrous."

Regards

Daz

Thanks

Default P.O.W.'s threated by Cossacks.

David,

Mo news as yet on the Cossacks. For what its worth, according to The Sands of Time by Oliver Clutton-Brock, the evacuation of Stalag Luft III took place on 28 January 1945. 2000 RAF Officers went to Marlag und Milag Nord (Westertimke). Its evacuation took place on 10 April 1945 North East toward Lubeck.

If I find out anything more about the Cossacks I'll update this.

Regards,

Gerry

Thanks

Bringing this one up again, anyone any suggestions?

Thanks

Guys,

I do not know of this as a specific occurance but the Cossacks would have been deployed on the Eastern front, through which the POW's from SL3 in the winter of 1944/45 would have been passsing but they would have been well guarded by their German captores. These 'troops' were pretty much a law unto themselves at this time, expecting certain death at the hands of the Russians. These were very difficult times for anyone to control.There were certainly threatened by all and sundry on the march so Russian Cossacks would only be part of the act.

David, what have you picked up on this to raise your interest?

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Nick I have picked up nothing further. I remember my father talking about it but in my research have not read of other POW's mentioning this.