Thread: Destroying plane on UK soil by misunderstanding

Thanks

Default Destroying plane on UK soil by misunderstanding

Hi I have read in one book short note about a special camp for guilty airmen and there was a story that one bomber crew crashlanded with damaged plane in night, destroy it and was hiding and trying escape as they think they are on occupied territory but to find out in the morning thay are onyl few miles from their base!

Any details about this case - if it is true at all?

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Pavel,

Do you have the name of the book? I've got a feeling I've heard this story somewhere, too, but I can't remember where. I seem to remember it was with some similar stories, e.g. a disoriented Heinkel pilot who landed his bomber at an R.A.F. base in the south of England and got a very nasty surprise when walked into the Watch Office to ask where he was!

As for the "Special Camp" - Air Crew Refresher Course, a.k.a. the "Naughty Boys Course", at Brighton?

Regards,

Jeff

Thanks

Similar story happened to a crew of polish Wellington Z1277 GR-Z from 301 Sqn. During the return trip from Mannheim they lost their orientation in a bad weather and landed on an airfield with only little fuel left. They believed they were in Britain! Thery were totally astonished after they were taken to a by an eglisih speaking officer to a mess where they realised that it`s not RAF station but Luftwaffe station somewhere in Belguim!!
    Their aircraft were then captured by Luftwaffe and certainly used for operational purposes...

Thanks

Pavel:

I can vaguely recall reading something on these lines in one of the "Lincolnshire Air War 1939-45" books back in the 70s. The story (I think) related to a Hampden which came down in fog and was only a short distance from the perimeter of an RAF station. The crew supposedly fired their aircraft with a Very pistol, convinced they were in enemy territory.

Hope you find some 'hard' info on this.

Regards,

BC

Thanks

Thanks chaps for info.
    Jeff - I think it was a "Tempest pilot" book.

Pavel

Thanks

Hello all,

BC - well remembered. In Sid Finn's 'Lincolnshire Air War 1939-1945' [Vol.1] the author writes;
    "One foggy night, a Hampden landed at Cottesmore and the amazed control tower staff saw a tongue of flame go up as the crew set fire to the aircraft! A very irate Station Commander who arrived at the scene very quickly, was told by the crew that they thought they had landed in Holland. To save any embarrasment, I will not reveal the squadron number!"

I think we need someone with Cottesmore knowledge to confirm story.

Regards,
    Dave.

Thanks

Thanks Dave fo details. I think that the word "irate" for the station CO is very polite:-)

Pavel