Thread: Coastal Command/Admiralty lat long codes

Thanks

Default Coastal Command/Admiralty lat long codes

Hello folks

Urgently need help on this chestnut!

Having just been at Kew for four days happily ploughing the Coastal Command ORB and appendices (where I have founds loads of goodies), much to my horror, with the exception of Sep'39 not a hint of any charts or documents showing what the four letter codes (to represent lat/long) were around the UK. I've just started looking at the appendices for 15 Group but still no joy. Most certainly not good news for me being able to tackle station ORB's without this gen.

Is there any one particular Group (Coastal) whose Appendices contains all the codes from 1940-45 that I can look at? I'm looking for 49N 02W for the entire period and know the frequency it changed varied.

As a carrot, whoever helps I'll gladly look up anuthing they care to request in the time I have remaing there. You can tell its urgent!!

Kind regards
    Pierre

Thanks

Hi Pierre,

I can't help you but I'm experiencing the same difficulties figuring out positions on the North Sea, mentioned in the various ORB's. I started a hunt too in TNA for a kind of conversion table for the whole war period, especially 1940-1942, but coudn't find it as well.

One possiblity I haven't checked are the maps available in the map room upstairs in TNA, but lacked time to have a look at useful references.

So, backing up Pierre's query I would appreciate it too when someone can point us to a reference number!

Kind regards,
    Hans Nauta

Thanks

There is no magic file.

The information is spread over a large number of documents.

For future publication I have created a decoder 50N-60N 10W-10E and am working to gather the codes for Biscay/Atlantic.

On average the codes changed every 2-3 months but at certain operational periods they were renewed on a two weekly basis.

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=7471

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hello Hans

Having gone through the appendices to 15 Group yesterday for the period it covered the south western areas of the UK prior to 19 Group becoming responsible for that area circa Jan'41 (this being my patch of interest), I'm VERY pleased to say I managed to find some Lat/Long codes for 44-58N and 02-17W. These covered various dates running from August to December 1940. Not so good is that so far looking at 19 Group from Feb'41 there has been a dearth of similar material, but at least I finally found some.

I realise you are more likely looking at codes that involve eastings however do you have some for this time frame in 1940 for the northings (I believe the first two letters) that I could try to "decode". I'm also hoping any answers I furnish will tally with Ross's own findings! All the better if anything I've found is additional to what Ross has located to date.

Look forward to hearing back and fingers crossed we can start breaking our own admiralty/coastal command enigma.

Kind regards
    Pierre

Thanks

Pierre, if there were co-ordinated air-sea operations running at the times you are interested in, try looking at the ADM Operational Orders. These will usually contain specific lat/long locations in describing the ‘safe’ areas of operation and should reconcile exactly with the orders issued to the air commands. If there was an air/surface encounter, this also will be spelled out in the Daily Intelligence Summaries in detail and can be used to establish coded positions in the CC files.

Hope this helps,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Hello Bruce

Thank you kindly for more reading material to examine! It seems the more time I spend at Kew the more time I need because it generates more avenues to follow. But thank you for the pointer, I was wondering where amongst the ADM series there might be liaison type orders and requests to Coastal Command to fly patrols.

After some rather wet weather in London today, I spent time putting together a spread sheet to provide instant answers on Lat/Longs. Its looking promising but will no doubt need tweaking. I was pleased to see I actually had material up to Jan'41. My one observation being that whilst a two letter code was written alongside a lat/long it appears it would relate to the degrees leading up to that number, e.g. in Sep'40 JZ appears alongside 57N however I suspect it covers the range from 56deg00min to 56deg59min. I'll need to test that supposition by checking out a station ORB who I know flew ops to my neck of the woods.

Pierre

Thanks

Hello Pierre,
    A bit of luck is required. I have sent a PM which hopefully will get you started.

Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS