Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June 1943, 5 (P) AFU

Thanks

Default June 1943, 5 (P) AFU

Hi,

Does anybody know the precise date of course n61 at the 5 (P) AFU in June 1943 ?

TIA

Bertrand H

Thanks

Hi Bertrand

61 Course composed of 2 British and 5 Dutch officers and 41 British and 1 Czech NCO's reported to the unit 1st June. I can't find the date the course ended i'm afraid.
    Hope that helps. There is a nominal roll of the course members if you were interested.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

Default 3(p)afu?

Tom,
    I'm interested that you have some details of a course at an advanced flying unit. I'm interested in a course at 3(P)AFU starting on 21 March 44 and ending on 2 May. Do you know where I can find more details about this one?
    Regards
    Max Williams

Thanks

I'd also be interested to know Tom's sources as I've been trying to track some details for students at 61 OTU on no. 5 course in late 1941.
    Interests include Spitfires in Malta 1942 and 460 Sqdn 1943-44 (including Black Thursday)

Thanks

Hello Adrian and Max, sorry i forgot to state that my source is the ORB held at the NA. Not a particularly detailed ORB but it does have the nominal rolls for the majority of the courses. I can't say i have ever looked at 3 (P)AFU ORB but it may have some details in it?

Adrian, i do have the ORB for 61 OTU but only for the period of April 1942 onwards. There are no mentions of courses and certainly no nominal rolls in this period i'm afraid. I'm not sure if it would be any different for late 1941 though?

Hope that helps a bit and good luck!

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

Thank you very much for your reply Tom.

So there is a mistake in the record of service of the Free French pilot Albert Gaudon (later 341). I think he was with course 62 and not 61. Are you able to find five names of French in this course 62 ?

TIA

Bertrand

Thanks

Thanks Tom. I do have a couple of weeks of the 61 OTU ORB for Oct 41. It's not particularly detailed, but still interesting background for my grandfather's service history.

Cheers

Adrian
    Interests include Spitfires in Malta 1942 and 460 Sqdn 1943-44 (including Black Thursday)

Thanks

Default Thanks

Thanks Tom, I know where to look now.
    Regards
    max

Thanks

No problem guys.

Now Bertrand, you have got me there as i can't find his name on the nominal rolls! Perhaps you could tell me his service number and rank? Did he go under an alias do you know? A number of the Frenchmen i have come across at 5 (P)AFU went under an alias. There are quite a few Frenchmen in the courses around no 61 but none listed on 62 Course so if you give me his service number and rank and ill have another look.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

Tom,

The Free French in (5)AFU in June 1943 were :

30550 SOUFFLET Jacques
    35570 LAYEC Gilbert
    35515 GAUDON Albert alias LAVERDIERE
    30847 FABESCH Pierre
    35540 DELOCQUE-FOURCAUD Jean

It is possible that there are other names. It is easier to find them even they have an alias because all their service number begin by 3 and four digits. (3XXXX)

thank you

Bertrand