Default Abbreviations on Accident Cards

Can anyone assist with the following which I am coming across of ANF 1180's

EF - possibly engine failure

FP - possibly Flare path

A of G

AD

OC E of J

GTI possibly Group Training Instructor

There is a box on the form after the aircraft type box which has the letters W R and M can anyone tell me what they stand for?

Also does anyone have a list of the expaination of the causes of accidents, e.g. L17, F4, O3D, L8B, L12A, T7. L6B

Many thanks

Daz

Thanks

Hi Daz
    I think that the context in which the abbreviations appear may have a bearing on what they mean.
    Ray Sturtivant and John Hamlin in their book Flying Training and Support Units since 1912 offer 2 possibles
    FP they have as Ferry Pool
    AD as Aircraft Depot
    In addition the abb. OC commonly means Officer Commanding and can be applied to almost any Unit, particularly under conditions of formality
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Hi Daz,

as Dick has pointed out it would be easier to identify if the abbreviations were in context but from my experiences with the accident cards the common abbreviations i have encountered are:

AC - Aircraft
    AF - Airfield
    EF - Engine Failure
    FL - Force landed
    FP - Flare path
    RW - Runway
    SE - Single engine
    UC - Undercarriage

Funnily i have come across AD just the once and i just can't think what it could mean either? The crash was due to a mechanical fault when a ballast weight came adrift and jammed the elevator controls.

Hope that helps anyway.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

I think I may have posted this before:

Abbreviations commonly used on Air Ministry Forms 78 & 1180 (Aircraft Movement Cards and Accident Record Cards)

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=3&ved=0CBQQFjAC&url= http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rafmuseum.org.uk%2FLondon%2Fcolle ctions%2Farchive%2Fdocuments%2FAir%2520Ministry%25 20Form%2520Abbreviations.doc&rct=j&q=raf+abbreviat ions+accident+cards&ei=Ht7sSp_SEdfajQevgomhDQ&usg= AFQjCNFQacLagmQ142-KXcdxt8SBRH-RPA

(opens as a Word Document)

A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks

Amrit, Dick, Tom

thanks for the information. I'll try and put those that remain a mystery into context to see if it helps:

"OC E of J under difficult conditions Pilot showed determination in continuing sortie." This statement appears after the paragraph explaining the nature of the accident. I now think that is stands for Error of Judgement and is a comment made by the OC Sqn.

With regard to the AD ones I have AD (Hydraulics), AD (Brakes), AD (Ailerons) could this be Airframe Damaged with the cause in brackets?

The A of G statement is in the Duty box on the card and it states:
    "night sortie F/P A of G"

thanks again

Daz

Thanks

Hi Daz,

as soon as i read that i thought 'error of judgement' too, although i haven't seen it in short hand like that before.

That's a good idea with AD - or i just thought of Airframe/Aircraft Defect perhaps?

Still not sure about F/P A and G though.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

Tom

having gone through a few more cards I have come across E of J a few more times and the only thing that works in each case is Error of Judgement. I'm still not sure on the AD one though, I have now found it with AD(ASI) the only other thing I can think of is Accidental Damage.

Regards

Daz

Thanks

F/P is a common abbreviation for Flying Practice, and seems to fit the context of your example.
    David D

Thanks

David

thanks for that suggestion, it's certainly a possibility but I'm still more inclined to take "FP" as "flare path" as I have a number of others (all for 78 Sqn), from the same time which shows FP in the duty box followed by statements like "Drems lighting" or "Goose neck flares". I suppose it is all to do with the context of the abbreviation as mentioned in an earlier reply. I've just never seen A of G on anything before.

thanks again

Daz

Thanks

A of G = "Act of God" ?

Just a SWAG...