Thread: Jan 5/6,1945 Combat

Thanks

Default Jan 5/6,1945 Combat

On return from Hannover a 433 Sq Halifax had an encounter with probably a Mosquito. At a point east of Sheffield while flying south to north, this Hali was followed for 3 or 4 minutes at 800 yards to the rear. It then moved up to about 400 yards on the starbooard beam. The rear gunner called for the corkscrew and with this unidentified aircraft following through two corkscrews, both gunners opened fire with short burst at approx 300 yards. This aircraft them broke off at 200 yards, never extinguishing his nav lights. I wonder how often a friendly fighter made a dummy attack on a bomber with different results, or wether this would of been mentioned by this night fighter crew after they landed. Any thoughts on this.
    Thanks Richard

Thanks

Hi Richard, first of all are you sure it was really Mosquito and the fighter was making only the dummy attack?:-)

As far as I know the 4 engine German bombers were pretty rare and I think if it will be a Mosquito, the crew will realize this quite early.

But as there were quite a lot of Mosquitos over the Europe operating that night your idea is possible, but this info is quite strange "never extinguishing his nav lights". I think that only crazy crew will switch them on over enemy teritorry but if it was over UK it means the crew maybe lost or in a trouble and maybe they want to make a contact with the bomber.

But this is only a guess...

Also we can not be sure if the Mosquito crew - if it was a Mosquito - mentioned this event at debrifing.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

307 Polish Squadron lost a Mosquito while attempting to identify itself to a Stirling, in order to shepherd it back home. Mossie could have been easily confused with a Ju 88 though.

Thanks

Hi franek, thanks for addition that is what I forget to mention - confusion with a Ju 88. But on the other hand - in Jan 1945 was there any Luftwaffe unit able to operate in this area? I suppose not.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Default UK Intruders

I think the last Ju88 intruders brought down over the UK occured in 1945, from memory German aircrew graves at Scampton are dated March 1945 ?
    The After the Battle books detail this for anyone wanting to confirm date.

Regards, Ian

Thanks

Default UK Intruders

For March '45 that might be the Germans' Operation 'Gisela' (3-4/3/1945), for which Rod Mackenzie is probably your man (RodM on this Forum). He's researched that one (and the rest of the late-war period) in great detail and can probably tell you if that was the last time they forayed over here. If so, anything after that over the UK was probably one of ours.

As for Jan '45, again I'd see if Rod can help you as to what might have been intruding over here then.

Ian

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Franek Grabowski View Post
    307 Polish Squadron lost a Mosquito while attempting to identify itself to a Stirling, in order to shepherd it back home. Mossie could have been easily confused with a Ju 88 though.
    Do you have a date for that Franek? Just trying to add the info to the files....

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhuxt View Post
    Do you have a date for that Franek? Just trying to add the info to the files....

Cheers,

Mark
    Yes, I have, but I must find it.

Thanks

Thanks Franek.

Thanks

Default Combat Jan 5/6

Thanks for all your input on this question. I think it was friendly thought that they may make a dummy attack on a returning bomber. They followed thru 2 corkscrews with out firing and the gunners didn't really have a go at the fighter as they only fired a couple short bursts. I don't suppose the crew on the night fighter, if it was friendly would admit to this encounter.