Thread: CARC, Regents park and 10 ITW

Thanks

Default CARC, Regents park and 10 ITW

Hi,

Does anybody know what is the link between CARC, Regents park and 10 ITW. (Autumn 1941)

I read this record of services of an ex-free French.

I thought that the 10 ITW was Scarborough !

TIA

Bertrand H

Thanks

Default CARC etc

I know there was an (Central?) Aircrew Reception Centre at Regents Park. An ITW was the next stage and could have been Scarborough. This was the same route that my father took in 1941.
    CT

Thanks

The Aircrew Reception Centre (ACRC: known as Arcytarcy in London) was where volunteers went once they had been accepted for aircrew training. The following are notes written by my father about his time there:

On Sunday 12th June 1942, I left Melksham and travelled to London, spent the night at my relatives and reported next morning, 13th July, at ACRC at Lords (Cricket Ground). That day I filled in various forms, was put into No. 8 Flight and collected a uniform and kit. The Flight was then marched, (it seemed miles) to St. James’ Close (this was a modern empty block of flats overlooking Regents Park) which was to be our home for the next few weeks. It all seemed very strange, marching around in a body and still wearing civilian clothing, sharing a room with five other chaps (sleeping on the floor on beds made from three square “Biscuits” and two blankets and washing/shaving in cold water without the benefit of mirrors) and eating at long tables (in the Zoo restaurant, being given two plates on which porridge, and bacon and beans were slapped), hundreds at one sitting.

As already said, once this stage was completed, airmen were posted to ITW: Dad's was in Southern Rhodesia.
    Regards
    Max

Thanks

Bertrand,

According to the indispensible 'Flying Training and Support Units since 1912', 10 ITW was indeed at Scarborough, being formed there 13 Dec 40 and disbanded there 18 Jun 45, and headquartered at the Grand Hotel.

Errol

Thanks

Many thanks Chris, Max and Errol for your explanations. Now sure, (C)ARC in Regents Park is the step just before the ITW.

The secretary forgot to precise this stage in the records of service before to rejoin Scarborough.

Merci

Bertrand