Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cpt Harald Hansen - Air Transport Auxiliary

Thanks

Default Cpt Harald Hansen - Air Transport Auxiliary

I have now obtained the death certificate for Cpt Harald Hansen.

The date of death on C.W.G. is incorrect and should be 24th July 1941 - the place of death was the Ratcliffe Infirmary Oxford - his age was 49 years - the cause of death was injuries resulting from an accidental collision between the Anson the deceased was flying and a Blenheim making a forced landing due to the seizing of the starboard engine.

What is not mentioned is the airfield in Oxfordshire where this accident occured and although not certain I think this was ground based and that the Blenheim hit the Anson whilst it was taxying on the ground.

Col Bruggy suggested on an earlier mail that the Anson could be R9761 which was SOC on 22nd July 1941 and this is probably true as we know that the accident probably occured on the 21st July.

Of course it would have to be an airfield in Oxfordshire which has a fair number to check at Kew from station records but I wonder if Warner has anything to say about a Blenheim being involved in an accident on or about the 21st July 1941.

The database http://www.raf-lichfield.co.uk/ATA%20Casualties.htm will not be ammended for the time being as I am awaiting the death certificate for Allen Grundstrom who died in Northern Ireland.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Pointon; 3rd November 2009 at 17:37. Reason: typo

Thanks

Hi Chris
    There doesn't seem anything in Warner that fits.Of the nearest there was one on 20/7/41 but it was at Church Fenton with no reported casualties,T2337 54 OTU, crashed avoiding an Oxford while landing on the wrong runway.
    22/7/41,L8876, 13 OTU, crashed cause unknown SOC 1/8/41.No location given, nor i/d of casualties,if any.
    The differences in dates for Hansen may give enough time for him to end in Oxford where his death is registered, but it is not easy to justify a move from Yorkshire to the centre of Oxford.Warner shows a photo of the Church Fenton collision and expresses surprise that no injuries to either crew were reported. He also points out that it was mid-air, about 30' above the runway intersection
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 3rd November 2009 at 15:39.

Thanks

Chris
    Excellent information. Would it be possible to obtain a copy? I have not been able to get further on this man since this update
    http://www.danishww2pilots.dk/profiles.php?alpha=h&id=180

But nothing is new to you here.

Regards

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

I believe the a/c was Condor DX177 at White Waltham on the 12th July.

HTH

DaveW

Thanks

Chris

Firstly thanks for this info.. It looks like soon the ATA project will be complete. Please let us know about Allen Grundstrom as well

I think we need to find an airfield with Blenheims on it within say 50 miles of Oxford

Dave

Hansen was piloting the Condor on 12th July but he did not die as a result of this crash (which was either on take off or landing).. He may have been slightly injured (if he was injured at all), but he was died less than 2 weeks later in another incident

Paul

Thanks

Default Cpt Harald Hansen - Air Transport Auxiliary

Chris,

You will not necessarily find this Blenheim mentioned by Graham Warner in the Appendices to his book as he is dealing with losses and if the Blenheim wasn't written off it won't be there. I have examined my database of Blenheims lost and can find none that might be the one involved in this crash either so I suggest that the damage to the Blenheim was repairable. However, my records aren't aren't perfect (whose are?) and the information may be waiting out there somewhere.

All the best,

L9172

Thanks

QUOTE Hansen was piloting the Condor on 12th July but he did not die as a result of this crash (which was either on take off or landing).. He may have been slightly injured (if he was injured at all), but he was died less than 2 weeks later in another incident

Quite so, my mistake.

I have recently read Lettice Curtis's book, but I cannot recall if Hansen's death is mentioned. I have passed the book on now, but I will enquire from the recipient.

regards

DaveW

Thanks

My thanks to all those who have replied to this thread. I have the unenviable task of trying to find 30 Oxfordshire Station ORB's at Kew (yes there are that many) to see if I can nail this down. I will start with those that are closest to Oxford itself and it need not be an airfield where Blenheims were based. Warners Blenheim book was my only hope but as reader L9172 says the aircraft was not written off so it will not be mentioned.
    I have all the A.T.A. books so there is no point in persuing this with any written by Lettice Curtis.
    There is one aspect that has been cleared up and that is the accident occured at a West Country airfield which is not true. He was employed by British Airways which had an office in the Grand Spa Hotel Bristol and was cremated in that city. I googled this and found references on Flight Global to advertisements placed from here for radio officers etc.
    Chris

Thanks

Could you check in Hendon first, the tapes of Blenheim F1180's for that period and see if one, not a write off as suggested above matches? They are sorted by date so should be a quick search?
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

I've used Geoff's Search Engine for RAF deaths on 21st July (although obviously the crew of the Blenheim could have survived).
    There are 2 possible candidates, from 2 SFTS which was at Brize Norton, so could fit with the requirement.
    One was:
    Name: DRNEK, MIROSLAV
    Initials: M
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
    Unit Text: 2 S.F.T.S.
    Date of Death: 21/07/1941
    Service No: 787469
    Additional information: Of Czechoslovakia.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Row 13. Grave 6.
    Cemetery: DONNINGTON (ST. CUTHBERT) CHURCHYARD
    and the other
    Name: MELENA, JOSEF
    Initials: J
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
    Unit Text: 2 S.F.T.S.
    Date of Death: 21/07/1941
    Service No: 787459
    Additional information: Of Czechoslovakia.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Row 12. Grave 7.
    Cemetery: DONNINGTON (ST. CUTHBERT) CHURCHYARD.

Now it could be totally unrelated, but you have to start somewhere!