Thread: Whitley 77 Sqdn shotdown Heeze/Holland 7 July 1941

Thanks

Default Whitley 77 Sqdn shotdown Heeze/Holland 7 July 1941

Looking for more info on Whitley Z6752, 77 Sqdn, shotdown by FLAK over Heeze.
    Pilot P/O J.E.Simmonds, Obs Sgt E.H.Alderton, Wop Sgt S.A.Evans and reargunner Sgt D.Bradley all survived and became POW's. Target for this a/c was Dortmund. Are these survivors still among us?? I would like to get in touch. Also ORB sought for this aircraft and crew.

Regards,
    Adrian

Thanks

Adrian,

If you get anything on this, please let me know as l am researching another aircraft lost on this mission from 77 Squadron, in respect of W H E Harwood.

Harwood, POW No. 39203, was aboard a 77 Squadron Whitley, Z6642 KN-?, when it was lost on 7th July 1941 and was one of two 77 Squadron Whitley’s lost on this operation, together with Z6752. The aircraft was out from Topcliffe when it was abandoned and crashed at 03.55 Hours at Epe (Gelderland), 16 km North North East of Apeldoorn, Holland. Sgt Harwood received a severe facial injury, caused either by the wire from the trailing aerial or from part of his parachute harness. Sgt N C Bizley POW, Sgt W J Haslam RCAF POW, Sgt G C Carter POW, Sgt W Petch POW and Sgt W H E Harwood POW. Sgt W H E Harwood was in Camps 9C/357, PoW No.39203 with Sgt W Petch, PoW No.39198.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

Fred,

Not seen the link to the book so thanks for that.

These guys are shortly to appear on my web site. Bizley already is but l have a lot more to post on him.

His name is spelt wrong on a number of reports, including James McCairns and he was involved with the attempted escape from the train between Stalag IXc, Bad Sulza and Stalag Luft 3, Sagan, when RCAF Sgt. Harry Malcolm Robertson was shot and later died of his injuries.

Do we know who wrote the book 'The flying barn door' and if anyone advised on it? Finding it very difficult to navigate the web site.

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

Nick you wouldn't by chance have a photograph of Sgt W Petch crew member of Whitley Z6642? He was a POW with my Dad.
    Researching my father's time with 50 Squadron, 97 Squadron, Dulug Luft, Stalag Luft VI, Stalag 357 and Stalag Luft III.

http://wallyswar.wordpress.com/