Thread: Lancaster ME472

Thanks

Default Lancaster ME472

On april 10 1945 Lancaster ME-472 from N° 207Sqn was lost on a mission to Leipzig. The aircraft suffered flakdamage , the pilot kept the aircraft in the air until his crew was able to bailed out safe. Anyone an idea were this aircraft came down ?

F/L Anderson Peter Murray ( KIA ) DFC J/16379 RCAF pilot
    Sgt Nichol E ( SAFE )
    F/O Hewett C M ( SAFE )
    F/O Larcombe K A ( SAFE )
    Sgt Collins C V ( SAFE )
    Sgt Matthews E J ( SAFE )
    Sgt Pearl J R ( SAFE )
    Anderson buried at Evere cemetery Belgium

Thanks

Hi Alain,
    The "K" report does not give a lot on the actual crash site apart from stating that the crew landed by parachute at what looks like Rohl, 10 miles NW of Coblenz. The rear gunner made contact with some Americans who organised a search for the crash site, and found the pilot's body close to the wreck.

Thanks

Thanks Alan

Alain12

Thanks

The crew landing area and the pilots burial site just to the north of Brussels look quite far from each other, seems a bit too far for a lone pilot and a damaged aircraft. Perhaps the pilot was moved from temporary burial site to Evere after the War? Sorry, doesn't get you closer to the actual crash site, but had the Yanks got as far as the Coblenz area by then?
    It sounds as if the crew baled out shortly before the aircraft crashed, which is fairly typical and that the crew were therefore not too far from the crash site which the American unit may well have seen and got there without much delay.
    Had the aircraft managed to get from Coblenz to the outskirts of Brussels, I doubt the Americans would have been able to organise a search to find the wreck.

Thanks

There is a Röhl (postalcode 54636) near Bitburg, a Brohl (postalcode 56754) 16 km (= 10 miles) SW of Koblenz and a Brohl-Lützing (postalcode 56656) about 16 km NW of Koblenz.

Henk.

Thanks

Hello ,

So i think we can assume that the body of the pilot was brought for a final burial to Brussels , wich is about 300 km to the west of Koblenz. Thanks once more for the help.

Alain12

Thanks

Postcode 56656 looks closest to the position given by Alain12. I am sure there is some logical explanation as to the transfer of the pilot from there to Evere, rather than a closer CWGC cemetery. I'll include F/L Anderson in my thoughts come Sunday.
    Is there any way of obtaining a more precise location? Any MREU Report?