Thread: F/O Norman Edward Goldsmith DFC

Thanks

Default F/O Norman Edward Goldsmith DFC

Hello,

I was wondering is there somebody who can tell me more about F/O Norman Edward Goldsmith DFC ?He was the pilot of a Lancaster of 50 squadron which crashed Aug 17 in my hometown Zwolle.F/O Goldsmith and three other crewmembers were killed and are buried in Zwolle.Unfortunately his entry on the CWGC site gives no details where he and his family came from.

Mike

Thanks

GOLDSMITH, Norman Edward, P/O (80127, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve) - No.50 Squadron - Distinguished Flying Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 14 April 1942. Biographical details from Air Ministry Bulletin 6672; born 1922 in Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia; home there; enlisted in RAF, 1940; commissioned in May 1941. Air Ministry Bulletin 6672 has citation.

"On 12th February, 1942, this officer participated in an attack on the German warships in their voyage through the Channel. Following a methodical search, he flew across the convoy and was met by fierce anti-aircraft fire. Undeterred, he pressed home his attack and released his bombs across one of the battleships from 800 feet. After regaining height, his aircraft was hit by shall fire and it became uncontrollable. Pilot Officer Goldsmith skilfully regained control, however, and was then able to fly the aircraft safely back to this country. Throughout he showed great courage and superb airmanship."

Thanks

Thanks Hugh for your quick respond.

That will be a tough one to trace relatives of him since he came from Salisbury,South Rhodesia the present Harare,Zimbabwe.
    Anyone who has experience with research on airmen from South Rhodesia?

Thanks

Hi Mike,

The following information is recorded in 'A Pride Of Eagles/Salt':

778461/80127 F/O GOLDSMITH, Norman Edward Henry DFC.

Named on the WW II Memorial, Bulawayo, Southern Rhodesia.

Born 24/1/1922 Selukwe (now, Shurugwi), Southern Rhodesia.

See:
    A Pride of Eagles:The Definitive History of the Rhodesian Air Force 1920-1980.
    Salt,Beryl.
    Weltevredenpark:Covos Day Books,2001.
    p.729.

Col.

Thanks

Hello Col,

Thanks a lot for the info.

Mike

Thanks

Default F/O Norman Goldsmith

Hi

I have come across this site the other day. I am a distant relative of F/O Goldsmith. Norman was my grandmother's sister's son, so not sure what this is to me. Anyway, I have been given some information on Norman, so was doing some research when I came across this site.

I have a number of cousins, both in the UK and Australia, and if anyone has any further information on Norman it would be very much appreciated.

As a matter of interest, my father was in the RAF and posted to Southern Rhodesia. He was stationed at the Empire Training School in Salisbury as ground crew. He meet and married my mother there, and I was born in Salisbury.

I joined the Rhodesian Air Force and was commissioned in 1975. I was a member of the 101 VR Squadron.

I would welcome any contact if there is anyone wanting further information.

Kind regards

Arthur

ajwzz@yahoo.com

Thanks

Hi Mike and Arthur,

My father, Plato Mavros, was intrigued to find reference to his old friend Norman (nicknamed Oof) on the Google! My father was also born in Selukwe (1925) and knew Norman and his parents from childhood. Norman was an only child. His father was a bookkeeper and they lived in a small cottage on the side of a hill just outside Selukwe. (One of Selukwe's more famous sons was Ian Smith (b1919) whose father was the butcher.)

Norman was generally known as Bobby and was always laughing, joking and playing, especially with his friend Don McKechnie. He attended Selukwe Public School and then Chaplin School in Gwelo, where he was a school hero and prefect, possibly head prefect and an heroic rugby player!

This was sent in by DanaŽ Lambert-Porter who can be contacted at Danae Lambert-Porter <elpees@global.co.za>;