Thread: Reserve Categories 1930s

Thanks

Default Reserve Categories 1930s

Would someone be kind enough to clarify some 1930s RAF reserve categories for me.

In the case I am looking at the officer's status changed as follows;
    1931 Acting P/O on probation Class AA Reserve
    (1933 promoted to F/O)
    unknown date to Class C Reserve
    1938 to Class A Reserve
    1939 to Class C Reserve (when he left the UK for Canada)

What were Classes AA, A and C?

Thank you,

Ian Macdonald

Thanks

Ian, Hi,
    There's a fairly comprehensive (but not exhaustive) Section on Reserves in Malcolm's Rafweb site. But the site seems to have been moved. It now requires ID and Password to enter (fair enough!). But no matter what I give it (old ID/Password or invent new ones) it won't let me in! That's where the info is - if only it will let you get at it!!!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter

I think you maybe having problems with your computer. Malcolm doesn't seem to changed the sections that are open to the public:

http://www.rafweb.org/Reserve_2.htm

A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks

Amrit (et al).
    I do NOT like these transient computer problems. On Amrit's advice I went, again, to Rafweb. No problems! Very strange!
    Malcolm may care to delve deep into his Webmaster's Secret Files to see if anybody was playing Silly Bu$$ers with the site?
    But for Ian - that's what it is. Just who, for example and in detail, was in what Reserve - and with what Reserve commitments - is not entirely clear.
    In my own case I was initially Commissioned in the RAFRO (CC) which I was told stood for Civilian Component (as in Malcolm's Site). But the "Civilian Component" bit may have been a misnomer in that the Reserves seem to have followed an alphanumeric nomenclature.
    There is, I suspect, a great deal of mystery as to just who was actually in any Reserve - and why?
    Certainly when (post-Falklands) "we" came to clear up the various Reserves ahead of the now more modern Sponsored Reserve(s) there were some very "odd bods" in the RAFRO Met Branch. I'd never heard of 'em - and nor had my Personnel Branch. So I asked the hairy old Wg Cdr from Innsworth what it was all about! He said "Best you don't ask"!
    What I'm gently trying to say is that from post-WW1 onwards the RAF Reserves have been used for a variety of purposes. I, for example, on the Enlistment Numbers, would dearly like to know just who were the "Class E Reserve Meteorologists" from 558001 - 558503 in May 1927. Can anybody put names to these numbers?????
    So, Ian, this may be a bit of a mine-field - but I would really like to know how you get on!!
    Yrs Aye
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 10th November 2009 at 17:01.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter, Amrit,
    Thank you, it is where Amrit indicated and it gave me the information I wanted.
    Much appreciated.
    Ian Macdonald