Thread: 421011 - Unaccounted airwoman and airmen - 11-10-1942

Thanks

Default 421011 - Unaccounted airwoman and airmen - 11-10-1942

What were the places of death registration for:
    AC2 Percy A. AUCOTT - 1656390 - age 20;
    Sgt Stacey P. DRIVER - 24201 - age 54 (MiD WW1), and
    ACW2 Isabella M. VASSIE - W/2069232 - age 20 - 927 (Balloon) Sqn (Avonmouth, Bristol); admitted to hospital 7-10-1942.
    All three names couldn't be found in Flight archives.

Proposed aircraft losses:
    Hurricane I - V6733 - 59 OTU - crashed in forced landing lwick, near Belford, Northumberland.
    Magister I - R1892 - 485 Sqn - crashed on take-off Marston Moretaine, Bedfordshire.
    Tutor I - K3461 - 1 FIS - undershot landing Hockley Heath.

Regards and thanks for your help.
    Henk.

Thanks

Hi Henk
    Aucott,20, registered at Horncastle, Lincolnshire
    Driver,54, registered at Biggleswade, Bedfordshire. The crash site for Magister R1892 is not set out on the Biggleswade list so I can't suggest a connection.
    Isabella M Vassie,20, registered at Bristol,consistent with her Unit
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Thanks Dick. Let's wait whether Dennis has info on DOAS/KOAS for them.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

DOAS A/C.2 P. A. Ahcott, thats the spelling in Flight magazine.

DOAS for A/CW2 I M Varsie in the magazine dated Jan 21st 1943, just search for the word 'women' for these cases. That is the spelling in the magazine.

No luck with Driver but with his age I think most of those older men were not listed.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hello

AC2 Percy A. AUCOTT - 1656390 - the Skegness Standard of October 21st 1942 reported the following:

SENTRY KILLED
    Dangers of the Sten Gun
    That Sten guns could be fired of given a sharp knock and were highly dangerous, was an opinion expressed by an expert at an inquest held on Tuesday by the Spilsby District Coroner, Mr. C. W. Howard, at an eastern town into the death of Aircraftman Percy Alfred Aucott, Leicester, 20 years of age.
    On Sunday deceased was on guard duty and was shot by a Sten gun, which fell to the ground when he and a comrade were discussing how the weapon works. The bullet passed through the deceased's head.
    Arthur Charles Wilkinson, aircraftman, said as deceased was a friend of his he went across to have a chat with him. The Sten gun was resting on an empty drum and deceased was resting on a chair. Witness mentioned that he ought to be careful with the gun, and remarked that he did not know much about them. He added: "One of us, I can't remember which, picked up the gun, and I was about to tell him a few things about it when it slipped to the floor of the sentry box and went off. Deceased fell forward and I called for help. I saw a bad wound in the centre of his forehead." Witness had been trained in the use of the Sten and was greatly surprised when it went off by dropping it.

Sgt Stacey P. DRIVER - 24201 - the National Probate Calendar records that he died at Arlesey, Bedfordshire.

Regards

Simon