Thread: Unusual Gauntlet(?) Air to Ground victory

Thanks

Default Unusual Gauntlet(?) Air to Ground victory

Hi All

I've been looking into a Flt Lt Arthur Johnstone who appeared as a supernumerary on 263 Sqn in September 42. He wrote off Whirlwind P7014 on October 8th when he tried to take off with the props in coarse pitch, and then left the unit sometime later.

Looking through the Gazette entries for this officer I found this DFC citation ( Issue 35148 published on the 29 April 1941. Page 7)

Pilot Officer Arthur Norman William JOHNSTONE(42313).This officer has been continuously engaged on operations over a long period, during which he has completed many sorties. On one occasion he observed an enemy bomber on the ground. Unable to destroy it by machine-gun fire, he flew past the aircraft, very low, and succeeded in hitting it with a verey signal cartridge, which set the aircraft on fire. In February, 1941, he made a reconnaissance over the Agordat area returning with valuable information which enabled land forces to enter the town the following morning.This officer has at all times displayed great enthusiasm, determination and initiative.

This first incident isn't mentioned in Dust Clouds in the Middle East, but Johnstone appears elsewhere in the book as a pilot with 430 Flight (Gauntlets and Vincents). There's something about the citation that makes me think a single-seater was involved.

Does anyone know any more about this verey pistol victory? Or about Johnstone's subsequent career? (He ended the war as a squadron leader)

Thanks in advance

NiallC

Thanks

Hi NiallC,

there is missing a "1" in the flight number you mentioned - 1430 FLight

I suppose you have following info from Dust Clouds in the Middle East but just in case from Hakans great website- http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/gauntlet.htm.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz