Thread: Need a reference for flying accident rates

Thanks

Default Need a reference for flying accident rates

Can anyone suggest a reference where I could find out what percentage of air crew were killed in training and flying accidents in 1939-1945? Of the men on my list of 81 RCAF casualties, about 25% were killed in non-operational incidents, most in training but a couple in flying accidents in England. I'd like to be able to express that as a percentage of all who flew, rather than just those who were KIA/KOS.
    David

Thanks

I've seen similar figures quoted, but from recollection the books dealt solely with RAAF personnel under the EATS scheme.

I could dig them out if necessary.

Adrian
    Interests include Spitfires in Malta 1942 and 460 Sqdn 1943-44 (including Black Thursday)

Thanks

Thanks Adrian. If you come across your notes on that, I'd be interested in a reference but don't go to too much trouble if it's not handy. I will need to find something in the British and Canadian records anyway.
    David

Thanks

No worries. I've got a time constraint on a current research task, but that finishes today/tomorrow. I'll check then. The two books are well referenced, so there might be a source document I can point you towards, but I suspect it will be RAAF orientated.
    Interests include Spitfires in Malta 1942 and 460 Sqdn 1943-44 (including Black Thursday)

Thanks

Hello David

I believe you will find the sort of statistics you are after in the official history of The Royal Air Force Medical Services, Volumes 1-3.

You might find the following files of interest that the NAA kindly digitised for me some years ago although relating to Coastal Command only;

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/ItemDetail.asp?M=0&B=477580
    http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/ItemDetail.asp?M=0&B=477581

Kind regards
    Pierre