Thread: Lancaster LM139, 625 Sqn 11 June 1944

Thanks

Default Lancaster LM139, 625 Sqn 11 June 1944

While visiting Dreux Communal Cemetery recently I found the Grave of Air Gunner, 1650666 Sergeant Leslie Turner DUNN.
    From Chorleys BCL vol5, 1944, I have learnt that he flew in Lancaster LM139, 625 Squadron out of Kelstern which was tasked to attack Archeres, Northern France 11-12 June 1944. The aircraft crashed either enroute to or from the target. Of the remaining 6 crew, 5 evaded capture and 1 was taken PoW. There is very little else mentioned in Chorleys book.

I was alarmed to find the Cemetery staff knew nothing whatsoever about all the 72 War Graves - 68 aviators and 4 soldiers (one from WWI and three from WWII). There was no register to view but then there may not have been one as it was a Communal Cemetery? An area I have never fully understood. Since returning from France, I have been busy researching the 72 buried including the 4 soldiers. This Lancaster incident is the last to research and when complete I intend to send English and French versions to the Cemetery office and the Mayor of Dreux.

Should anyone be able to tell me about the events that led to this crash and where the location was, I would be most grateful. Thank you.

Norman

Thanks

Hello Norman,

I looked in Theo Boitens Nachtjagd War Diaries volume two and the crash of the LM139 is registred at 10/11 june 1944:shot down by Lt.Walter Briegleb-10.NJG3
    It was shot down N.edge Paris (AE 2):1.200 m.- 01.15 hours.There are also some notes from Briegleb from his Leistungsbuch:

' Within 17 minutes I sent down four Viermots!Abschuss number 5, a four-eniged enemy aircraft on the approach to Chartres.At 01.15,I attack from exactly behind at a height of 1200 metres.I observe immediate engine fires,the aircraft crashes and explodes on impact.No return fire' .

Hope this helps.

Mike

Thanks

Hi Norman,

LM139 was reportedly shot down by a NF over the NW edge of Paris.

Cheers, Theo

Thanks

Thank you Mike and Theo,

Do you know the exact crash site?

Norman

Thanks

Default Loss of LM139 625 Squadron 10/11 June 44

I am the Secretary of the 625 Squadron Memorial Association and also act as archivist/historian for the Squadron. I can provide further details about the loss above - please do send me an email to sec@625squadron.org if you wish to continue investigation.

I have the squadron ORB and loss card(s) for this incident. I can't post the docs here but I can briefly say that the aeroplane was piloted by F/O Geeson (probably on his first op). It took off from Kelstern at 23:05 carrying 18 x500lb bombs. The loss was witnessed by a 100sq plane MD594.

3 crews from 625 were lost that night. 625 detailed 18 aeroplanes for this op which was the 65th that the squadron had carried out.

Please contact me at sec (AT) 625squadron.org if anyone wants further info about this or any other 625 squadron history.

rgds
    Nic Lewis
    Hon Sec 625 Squadron Memorial Association.

Thanks

Hello Nic,

Thank you for this information. I will be contacting you by email.

Norman