Thread: P/O Looker (615 Sqn) & Sqn/Ldr Tomlinson (17 Sqn)

Thanks

Default P/O Looker (615 Sqn) & Sqn/Ldr Tomlinson (17 Sqn)

Can somebody give me information concerning the fate of P/O David J. Looker (615 Squadron) and Sqn/Ldr George C. Tomlinson (17 Squadron) after the Battle of France ?
    Thanks for your help.

Rgds
    Régis

Thanks

David John Looker

He carried on with 615 Sq during the BoB, but was shot down in Hurrican L1592 on 18 Aug 1940. After crashlanding, he was severly concussed. He spent time in hospital, posted to 607 in October and then went to Canada in December 1940 as a staff pilot at a training school.

Released in 1945 as Fl/L. Died in 1995.

From Men of the Battle of Britain

Thanks

Tomlinson doesn't appear in the Men of the Battle of Britain but details of his promotions and his DFC & OBE can be found on the LG by using his service number - George Campbell TOMLINSON (05214).

He survived the war as he retired retaining the rank of Group Captain 19th July 1946

A

Thanks

Default Looker & Tomlinson

Hi Amrit,

Thanks a lot for the information.

Rgds
    Régis

Thanks

Default George Campbell Tomlinson

Hello Regis, George Campbell Tomlinson was my father and retired from the RAF with the rank of Group Captain. He was in charge of a Polish squadron at one stage and was shot down twice over enemy territory in Belgium but was able to escape capture on both occasions. He returned to his home in Pietermaritzburg, Natal, South Africa in 1946 and practised as a solicitor in his father's law firm Tomlinson Francis and Co in Pietermaritzburg. He died in 1995. At the end of the war he served in Austria briefly and was a friend of Air Chief Marshal Sir Robert Foster, both having served in Iraq before the war and in Austria after the war. His brother Robert Duncan Campbell Tomlinson was in PRU 1 based at Wick and disappeared after a mission to photograph the Tirpitz in Norway in 1942. If you or anyone else has information about my father and uncle, I would be very glad to hear from you. Best wishes, Rex Tomlinson