Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 120 Sqn Shackleton loss June 1952

Thanks

Default 120 Sqn Shackleton loss June 1952

On 25 June 1952 Shackleton Mk.I VP261 of 120 Squadron crashed into the North Sea during an anti-submarine exercise with the loss of twelve crew, there was one survivor.

I'm looking for the crew list of this aircraft and in particular the name of the survivor.

Any help would be appreciated

Regards
    Peter

Thanks

Peter,

The 11 casualties are list here:

http://www.vpinternational.ca/Book/honour_roll_15.html

WG CDR W.M. Bisdee Navigator
    FLT LT W.M. Blackall Pilot
    FG OFF J.M.D. Vincent Pilot
    FS P.E.E. Pratt Signaller
    SGT D.W. Burch Air Signaller
    SGT D.A. Butler Air Engineer
    SGT J.A. Imrie Air Gunner
    SGT N.T. Norman Air Gunner
    SGT J.P. Rourke Navigator
    LAC R. Johnstone Passenger
    LAC P.R. Wadsworth Passenger

Martyn

Thanks

Hi Peter
    A small bit of help comes from Chris Ashworth's book "The Shackleton". He records the loss of this a/c captained by W/Cdr Bisdee,the only name mentioned. He also points out that although it was a 120 Sqn a/c it was ,at the time , on loan to 240 Sqn. Both Sqns were operating out of Scampton for the exercise. This widens the scope of the ORBs you may have to look at. The cause of the crash was not positively determined and Chris has in the book either a stall in a steep turn or the shutting off of the main fuel cocks which were apparantly unfortunately positioned near the pilots and could be used as "grab handles" by someone trying to maintain his balance. The a/c was attacking a submarine at the time and the survivor,not named, was rescued by the First Lt of the sub who dived overboard.There were 13 on board which is 3 more than the normal Shackleton crew although 1952 was early in the Shack's life and it may be that the crew complement was settled later. I came onto Shacks in 1957 and the 10 man crew was the norm then.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

The Times reported that two survivors were picked up - Sgt Rorke (sic) and Aircraftman Oxley.

In a later report on the inquest the survivor is given as Sgt David Oxley.

A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks

Gentlemen,

Very many thanks for your replies which are most helpful.

Regards
    Peter

Thanks

Sorry - just a small correction. It was Sgt David Oxlade not Oxley. I am his son and I found this board when I entered name through Google.

My father didn't talk much about the accident. He was in and out of consciousness in the water. He remained in the RAF and continued to fly after the accident but left the service about 6 months later.

Best wishes,

Stephen

Thanks

Hello Stephen,

Many thanks for the correction.

I posted the original request for info on this loss as I was asked for details by a gentleman who posted the following on another forum

My name is ******, I was wondering after seeing your post with regards to the tragic crash of the above aircraft where sadly only one crew member survived.

I have recently been in contact with the RN Submariner who dived into the water and pulled 2 people out from the sea (sadly one survivor died later in Hospital).

I am wondering if you could point me in the right direction to gather the name of the survivor?

Kind regards

I have, after reading your reply, sent the gentleman in question an email and pm via the other forum with a link to this thread in the hope that he gets to read it.

I believe the idea is to reunite the submariner with the survivor.

Be interested to see if he makes contact

Regards
    Peter
    Last edited by peter; 29th November 2009 at 12:12.

Thanks

Peter,

Many thanks and how interesting. My father died about 15 yrs ago now. It would be good to meet the man who saved him - if he hadn't then I wouldn't have been born !

I would appreciate his email if that was possible ? Perhaps you could PM it to me please ?

Best wishes,

Stephen

Thanks

Hi Stephen

I can only send an email via the forum on which the request was first posted, this does not give me the email address. If I hear from the gentleman then be assured I will let you know as soon as possible.

Regards
    Peter

Thanks

Hi Stephen,

I have obtained the contacts email address and have asked his permission to pass it on to you.

Keep you fingers crossed.

Regards
    Peter