Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humour in Station Operational Record books.

www.wartime-airfields.com & http://hamg.co.uk
    Thanks

Default Humour in Station Operational Record books.

I found this entry in RAF Hunsdons ORB for the night of the 12/13th August 1944.

'Flt/Lt Pine-Coffin of Headquarters Central Command ATC, visited the Station'.

Are entries like this fairly well recorded in these official documents?

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp24/airfieldimages/HSORB66.jpg

Thanks

The better writers of ORBs, F540, F541, etc, can weave all sorts of tales! Us lesser mortals - having been engaged on the same task - could only try to make humour out of prosaic events, and not very successfully!!!!
    Incidentally, there are 136 entries for the name Pine-Coffin in the LG!!!
    HTH (but I doubt it!!)
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

There was I believe a Lt Col Pine-Coffin DSO and Bar, MC who served as Co of 7th Battalion The Parachute Regiment during the war. His soldiers used to call him "wooden box".

Regards

Daz

Thanks

Going back to humour in official documents; this description from an Escape and Evasion report never fails to make me laugh, for some reason:-

"I was the only P/W in an Italian bus containing five soldiers, a lot of French cheeses and
    a large Alsatian dog."

It sounds like a scene out of 'Allo 'Allo - all it needs is a knockwurst and a funny painting...

Jeff

Thanks

From The 101 Squadron ORB:
    Christmas Day, 1942: "The Squadron enjoyed a stand-down today, the weather was foul, fog, and as a result, heads were also thick the next day"
    Dec.26/42: "Fog again prevented flying today and the Squadron was able to recuperate quietly."

15.6.43 " We move to Ludford Magna....The incorrigibles of course, operated the first night. A very low level attack was staged on Louth. The Mason's Arms being the target."
    Regards
    Dave Wallace

www.wartime-airfields.com & http://hamg.co.uk
    Thanks

So it may seem that Flt/Lt Pine-Coffin may well have been a bona fide RAF Officer....
    But keep the real humourous tales coming!

Thanks

On the night of 17-18 August 1943, during an attack on Lincoln, a 604 Sqn Beaufighter crew claimed a Do 217 destroyed, and another probably destroyed. The port engine failed on approach to Scorton and the aircraft crashed. The pilot, who was seriously injured, was a F/Sgt WILKINSON. Their call-sign ? RAZOR 24 !

BC

Thanks

The compiler of RAF Atcham's ORB certainly seems to have enjoyed writing his entries. Here are a couple of my favourites:

24th January 1942 (a full scale investigation was begun on the 3rd September after a local farmer complained about his cow injuring itself on the barbed wire defence):
    "The investigation into the cow with the crumpled teat is complete and the AOC agrees with the findings which are to the effect that while it is only too clear that the unfortunate animal did lacerate itself on barbed wire, there is nothing (such as the LDC's finger prints or fragments of his apparel) to show whether it was our defence wiring that the damage was done. Unfortunately one quarter of the cow's milking apparatus will forever be lost to the nation".

1st September 1942:
    “At 2331 an aircraft of 96 Sqn scrambled as there was a Hun near York who later turned east and did not come into range. At 2347 a mouse entered the ops room from the south. He maintained a steady course of 010’ (Mag) WAAF personnel remained calm and did not scramble”.

There's many more too!

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Denis View Post
    So it may seem that Flt/Lt Pine-Coffin may well have been a bona fide RAF Officer....
    But keep the real humourous tales coming!
    Pine-Coffin was lost 14th July. Ops Aachen

Halifax II JB867 DY- 102 sqn W/C Coventry H.R.
    P/O McDonald A.M.
    Sgt Brown R.E.
    Sgt Hardy W.
    F/L Hogg G.F.
    Sgt Pine-Coffin G.T.
    P/O Armitage V.W.

Thanks

Default not the same man

hello,

Sgt Geoffrey Tristam PINE-COFFIN, 568487, R.A.F., is buried in Maubeuge Cemetery, France. He was killed in action during the night 13/14th July 1943, in Handley Page Halifax Mk II JD297 coded DY-Q. He was 24 ans and the son of William and Emily Pine-Coffin, and the husband of Bridget Pine-Coffin, from Chelsea, Londres, according to the C.W.G.C.. He lies in plot A, grave n° 5.

So he can't be the same Flight Lieutenant PINE-COFFIN visiting HUNSDON in August 1944. But as Resmoroh puts it, there's a number of "hits" in the London Gazette with that surname.

I've found some funny lines in No. 609 (WR) Squadron O.R.B. as well, depicting the Squadron life, between the missions. I think it mostly depended on the people who were filing the O.R.B.

Joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 23rd November 2009 at 07:50.