Thread: Spitfire Losses 53 OTU 21/11/1941

Thanks

Default Spitfire Losses 53 OTU 21/11/1941

All

The first of a couple queries that I picked up on AB-IX.. I wonder if you could help..

Firstly, 53 OTU had 2 losses on 21/11/1941

Pilot Officer James Robert Minard RACF (from Americ) J/7016 in Spitfire Ia X4849 at a Farm near Barry Road, Glamorgan,(turn, stalled and crashed, total wreck)

Sergeant ( Pilot) Jean C Berre Free French on Spitfire P9549 (Serial not mentioned in Aviateurs de la Liberte) at Trebanog - Porth, Mid Glamorgan, UK (Flew in Hillside in bad weather)

1) Firstly, can anyone with access to the death registers confirm the general location of these chases?
    2) Secondly, can anyone confirm date as 22/11/1941 has also been reported
    3) Anyone got a more accurate ID
    4) Can anyone give Jean C's Berre middle name

Thanks

Paul

Thanks

Paul

P9549 at Mynydd y Glyn, Cwmmer,Porth at the 900' contour,. approx OS 170/1290

X4849 at Sutton Farm, Barry which I have not been able to locate.

Both on the 21st as far I know.

(Information from Hugh Trivett)

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davew View Post
    Paul

X4849 at Sutton Farm, Barry which I have not been able to locate

regards
    DaveW
    Suggestion:

Could well be the Sutton Farm at the mouth of the River Ogmore, which is about 15 miles WNW of Barry, but well within range of the airfields normally used by 53OTU

dg

Thanks

I have been told that
    Sutton*Farm is north of RAF Rhoose hamlet named Moulton, also near
    Walterstone*and Llancarfan. There is a Suttons Farm on the Ogmore river mouth but it's the Barry site that is meant. These accidents *were prior to Rhoose becoming operational.

Thanks

Paul

Hugh Trivett has come back to me with a copy of a letter from AHB dated 14/8/90

"at 950 hours on 21 November 1941 Sgt JC Berre, 53 OTU was the pilot of Spitfire No P9549 that crashed at Trebanog near Porth, Glamorgan. Sgt JC Berre who was killed in the accident was buried at Llandow cemetery at 1315 hours on 26 November 1941."

He has also given me the RCAF file on the loss of X4849 and the death uf US pilot James Robert Minard J/7016.

The site of the crash was 250 yds S of Sutton Farm, on the Sutton to Barry road, on land belonging to North Cliff farm. 'Disobeyed low flying regulations, executed tight turn and hit ground'. Cat E completely wrecked.'

Hugh sought permission from the landowners (A Cambridge University College) to undertake a search but was refused.

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Dave

Thank Hugh for me the next time you talk and also thanks for looking into this further

Paul