Thread: Martinet MS843 18.12.43 Askham in Furnace

Thanks

Default Martinet MS843 18.12.44 Askham in Furnace

Has anyone further details on the loss of Petty Officer (Pilot) Peter VOSE (FAA/FX 96203) due to engine failure of Martinet MS843 on 18.12.44 at Askham in Furness? Or any details on Peter Vose?

I appreciate this may be a bit 'off topic', being FAA, but any help would be gratefully received.

With kind regards,

Tim
    Last edited by Tim Bishop; 28th November 2009 at 13:48. Reason: Update incorrect info

Thanks

Hello Tim,
    Don't have info on the accident. However like to add that his name was VOSE (rather than VOSS), second initial 'G', assigned to HMS Wagtail, his name commemorated on Bay 5 Panel 1 of the Lee-on-the-Solent Memorial, and the date 18-12-"1944"!. This may help to find an answer in Sturtivant's FAAA-losses.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Hello Henk,

That should teach me to read my threads prior to posting. Thanks for the corrections and will edit accordingly.

Kind regards,

Tim

Thanks

The accident was recored in the No.10 AGS ORB (Walney Island).

December 18th 1944, “Martinet MS843 from FAA Ayr crashed at Askam – pilot killed. AIB investigating cause of accident.”

December 18th 1944, Station Sick Quarters, “An aircraft crashed at [location not entered]. The body of the pilot FX96203 P.Vose was collected by Millom ambulance and brought to this SSQ. Death was due to fractured skull and multiple injuries.”

I don't have anything about it from the Millom ORB, their recording of such things seemed to end in early December 1944.

The CWGC entry does record Petty Officer Peter Graham Vose FAA FX/96203 on the Lee-on-Solent Memorial. No idea why he should be on a memorial for the missing / no known grave.

Unfortunately even though it appears the AIB investigated the incident the report is in the batch missing from the National Archives. I guess the AAIB might still have it in their tech. library as at least one more from that batch have turned up there.
    Last edited by alclark; 28th November 2009 at 17:41.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

alclark,

Thank you for the additional information this has proved very interesting and useful.

Kind regards,

Tim

Thanks

Al,
    It's possible that pilot's last will (or next of kin requested as such) was a burial at sea (committed to the deep) or the body cremated and ashes spread out over the sea.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

I guess that must be the case, i do have another example of a naval airmen who were killed in a high ground crash being buried at sea.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Hello Henk / Al,

Very interesting hypothesis - is there a history of these requests resulting in the name of the deceased being placed on a memorial for the missing?

Kind regards,

Tim

Thanks

Yes Tim,
    I had three casualties at HMS Nimrod, Campbeltown, Argyle, from a bombing raid in 1940, and though there were remains of all three recorded by the Medical Officer, one was returned home for burial, two were buried at sea and are commemorated on the Plymouth Memorial.
    Stewart