Thread: RAF Strafe of POWs April 1945

Thanks

Default RAF Strafe of POWs April 1945

All,

My Grandfather was a POW at the end of the war in 357 Fallingbostel. My grandad was in the RAF and he was forced to leave on a march in April. He is no longer alive and has sadly passed away.

I do not know much about it but my grandad always said that he was on the march and RAF Typhoons attacked the columns and in the panic of the attack my grandad managed to run in the opposite direction to the march and the german troops.

He was on the run for two or three days with another POW of which I do not know who that was. They both finally met up with American troops and were sent home.

Can anyone share some information on this event?

Ian

Thanks

Default Gresse 19 April 1945

Hi Ian,

The topic of the strafing at Gresse has been visited a few times on the old version of this forum:

http://www.rafcommands.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=3207&forum=DCForumID 6&archive=yes

I would also get hold of the book "The Last Escape" by John Nichol and Tony Rennell which is about the forced marches of 1945. A fair amount of information on Gresse there.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Hello Ian,

You might check the Liberation Questionnaire of your father in The National Archives in the WO344 class. With a bit of luck something is described of his escape. There is also a change that on the front page of this questionnaire the number of a Liberation Report is mentioned which is held in the WO208 class. Normally such reports were made up of everyone who managed to escape from captivity.

Good luck!
    Hans Nauta

Thanks

Default RAF Strafe POWs in April 1945

Hello,

Thanks for your response, do I need to go to the records office in Kew London to obtain this information?

Ian

Thanks

Ian,

Give me the details and when l am next there, l will look it up.

Regards,

Nick