Thread: Operation Freshman 19/20 Nov 1942

Thanks

Default Operation Freshman 19/20 Nov 1942

Has anyone on the forum made a detailed study of Operation Freshman - by that I mean a study of the Operation Orders rather than the actual flights? I'm particularly interested in who was responsible for preparing the forecast.

It was a 38 Wing operation but involved Halifaxes provided by a Bomber Command squadron based at (I think) Waddington (38 Wing was nor equipped with Halifaxes at the time).

I'm reasonably certain that the met office serving HQ 38 Wing at Netheravon was not equipped for the task, so I suspect the forecast originated at HQ Bomber Command.

Can anyone help please?

Brian

Thanks

Hello Brian,

I have the Ops Order no.7 dated 16th November 1942 for Operation Freshman. Here is what it says for the Met.

METEOROLOGICAL REPORTS
    21. The feasibility of the operation depends to a very great extend on meteorological conditions. Meteorological forecasts will be provided by Met Section, RAF Wick, giving the following information:-
    (i) Possibility of flying from base to objective without flying through cloud.
    (ii) Probability of visibility of the Norwegian coast for recognition of coastal R.V.
    (iii) Meteorological wind for flight from base to coastal R.V.
    (iv) Meteorological conditions over the objective including percentage and height of cloud surface and upper winds and altimeter correction to give correct reading over the objective area.
    (v) Meteorological conditions in the OSLO district for the purpose of dropping "Nickels".
    (vi) Meteorological conditions for the return flight to base, including conditions over Scotland.

22. In addition to the information provided by Met Section RAF Wick, actual reports will be obtained from Coastal Command aircraft flying over the North Sea and Naval vessels on the course WICK-EGERSUND, one to be as near as possible to the latter point. It is also hoped to receive a wireless signal from the advance party before take off.

23. Dr Pettersson, an experienced Norwegian Meteorologist, will be attached to the Met Section RAF Wick for the period of the operation, in order that he may assist in providing meterorological information for the Controller.

24. A Horoscope is attached at Appendix "D" (sorry I don't have this appendix in my files).

Hope that helps.

Regards
    Linzee

Thanks

Brilliant Linzee - Item 23 is exactly what I was seeking. I'd found an unreferenced report that Petterssen was involved, but I had reason to doubt it. You have saved me from getting egg on my face (again!)

Thank you.

Brian