Thread: Sergeant Arber

Thanks

Default Sergeant Arber

I am trying to find out whether Sergeant Ivor Kenneth Arber AFC (156944) of 66 Squadron who passed away on 1st September 1952,
    and
    Sergeant Arber (other names and RAF number unknown) of 603 Squadron who was killed on 2nd August 1940 in Spitfire Ia R6717, are related?

spitsortie

Thanks

Hi Spitsortie,

there are no airmen by the name of Arber killed during the war.

Searching the Battle of Britain rolls one can see that Ivor Kenneth Arber was THE man who served with 603 squadron, but evidently survived his time with the squadron:

http://www.battleofbritain1940.net/bobhsoc/aircrew/pilots-aa.html

Cheers, Tom
    Last edited by thorne83; 4th December 2009 at 14:28.

Thanks

Hi,
    Sgt I K Arber 603sqdn was not killed on this date, he survived, believed unhurt, he was the Arber who passed away in 1952.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlanW View Post
    Hi,
    Sgt I K Arber 603sqdn was not killed on this date, he survived, believed unhurt, he was the Arber who passed away in 1952.
    Thank you very much for such a swift reply and for solving what was a sticking puzzle for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlanW View Post
    Hi,
    Excellent - I just need to work out whether there was a Sgt Arber in 66 Sqn, but for me the results here are perfect. Many thanks.

Thanks

Of interest to you ?

ARBER, Ivor Kenneth, F/O (156944, RAFVR) - No.41 Group (Pool) - Air Force Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 1 January 1945. Public Record Officer Air 2/8959 (material provided courtesy of Steve Brew) has citation which was raised within Technical Training Command when he had flown 1,803 hours (196 in previous six months).

"This officer has been employed in No.41 Group since September 1940; during that time he has qualified to fly all types of land based aircraft and is qualified to Flight Test a considerable number. Flying Officer Arber never hesitates to accept hard work, particularly where there is a fair share of risk. During March 1944, he undertook the rather dangerous task of ferrying non-effective aircraft for breakdown and, in consequence, a very considerable economy in skilled man hours was effected. This officer gives of his best and has thereby made a definite contribution to the successful Flight Testing record of his group"