Thread: Dambusters star Richard Todd

Thanks

Default Dambusters star Richard Todd

Just saw this one on the BoB board:

Dambusters star Richard Todd has died.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1233181/Richard-Todd-The-Dam-Busters-star-got-suicide-sons.html
    David

Thanks

I read somewhere about a proposed remake of "The Dambusters " film with Gibson's black dog being called by a different name ?

From a google site ---

"He was among the first paratroopers in Normandy on D-Day, helping to capture and hold Pegasus Bridge in an epic struggle.

Todd fought alongside Major John Howard, who 18 years later he would portray in classic war movie The Longest Day."

Anne
    Last edited by aestorm; 5th December 2009 at 12:26.

Thanks

Yikes, let's not get into that controversy here! It's been well hashed over elsewhere.

I have heard various reports about the film being delayed but the latest interview with scriptwriter Stephen Fry has him saying Peter Jackson is still plugging away on it.
    David

Thanks

I am surprised that the death of Richard Todd did not receive more attention from the media. I saw no reference in the Sydney press and cannot recall any mention of his war record when the Dambusters film was released.

It is possible that this brave paratrooper captain did not want any publicity about his war service.

This was certainly the case with Hollywood's Colonel James Stewart who commanded a B24 squadron and demanded that MGM made no reference to his war service when promoting his movies. He finished as a Brigadier General on the US Airforce Reserve.