Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Board Policy on Lostbombers Information

Thanks

Default Board Policy on Lostbombers Information

Ladies and Gents.

I've asked nicely here but now feel I need to spell out my position in clear.

I will not permit any links to or cut and paste from Lostbombers web site until copyright issues on that site are resolved.

I will now moderate both posts and users breaching this board requirement.

I have asked you to respect my wishes and will delete the user accounts of those that continue to disregard and post.

Ross

Thanks

I understand your argument and have no desire to go against your wishes.

However I am curious. Are copyright issues being persued in the British Courts at this time? Have I missed a thread that can explain it in a little more detail?

Bart FM Droog Guest

Hello David,

Maybe you should read <a href='http://www.rafcommands.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=14497&forum=DCForumI D6&archive=yes'>this thread</a> from the old RAF Commands Forum

It explains a lot.

But... is the maker of Lost Bombers still alive? On that site, and I won't quote, can be found that he was 76 and in ill health in 2006.

Regards,

Bart
    Last edited by Bart FM Droog; 18th March 2008 at 00:13. Reason: an afterthought; enhanced technical capabilities

Thanks

Default original copyright

Hi
    Read the thread,
    Sure I think to credit is good. I have done two small books and seen the info at various sites on the net, with no mention.
    But my view is I always think that as most of the original info came from the PRO/NA, RAF records, etc, that they 'in reality' own the copyright on the info, unless it is personal interviews with ex aircrew etc...

I will respect the board rules as usual.
    Cheers
    jerry

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brewerjerry View Post
    Hi
    But my view is I always think that as most of the original info came from the PRO/NA, RAF records, etc, that they 'in reality' own the copyright on the info, unless it is personal interviews with ex aircrew etc...

I will respect the board rules as usual.
    Cheers
    jerry
    Jerry, I am afraid you are missing the point. Indeed much material does come from crown copyright sources, BUT there are rules about the use of crown material. One is that ALL sources are credited. Two, that copy of the work is to be deposited with the said crown source or archive.
    Also the ops records etc are often wrong and have been corrected after hundreds of hours research by bone fide authors. For someone then to copy this without acknowledgement is immoral. Stealing is another name for it.
    Another big issue is that the when somebody quotes from another work as in Lost Bombers case, they are often copying the format. For example all the ops records are available at Kew but they are not available as in the case of my own book, where all the data from all squadrons on the one operation is found in one book. This took me two years to do and all sources and acknowledgements are quoted. AND I have the honesty to put my name to the work. I also answer all enquiries about my work. J W Sharp has not done either of these things, nor has he answered my enquiries about his work or Bill Chorley's for that matter.

Peter

Thanks

Default Board Policy

Ross,

sorry I was not aware of such a policy.
    This will not happen again.

Leospitcon

Fred Wilson Guest

Updates to Chorley are posted at
    http://www.rafinfo.org.uk/BCWW2Losses/default.htm

Thanks

Lost Bombers author has passed away.

According to a thread on the Flypast forums the Author of the Lost Bombers Website has passed away.

I think that his site will remain unless it is a pay as you go so to speak website but I think you can expect no further updates from the site unless somebody takes the site over.

Regards Scott.
    Regards Scott McIntosh

ACIA Researcher

Search for Air Crash Investigation & Archaeology on Facebook for our groups page.

Thanks

According to the UK Nominet DNS lookup the URL is registered until December this year.

http://webwhois.nic.uk/cgi-bin/whois.cgi?query=lostbombers.co.uk&WHOIS+Submit.x=0 &WHOIS+Submit.y=0

To get a personal URL you have to pay at the very least Nominet and then get hosting.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ross_McNeill View Post
    Ladies and Gents.

I've asked nicely here but now feel I need to spell out my position in clear.

I will not permit any links to or cut and paste from Lostbombers web site until copyright issues on that site are resolved.

I will now moderate both posts and users breaching this board requirement.

I have asked you to respect my wishes and will delete the user accounts of those that continue to disregard and post.

Ross

So, please sorry that I paste it here. Will be happen not again.