Thread: Bomber Command Target Designators

Thanks

Default Bomber Command Target Designators

I have been very fortunate to purchase over 130 original photographs of BC targets, the majority of which are dated, named and show the details of the Sqn taking the photos. Some are pre raid recce photo's showing targets like the Tirpitz and various harbours, others are post raid photos showing targets in France, The Low Countries and Germany. One shows an oil refinery being bombed and is entitled "Knapsack electricity power station and synthetic Nitrogen and Nitrate factory" can anyone tell me where this is? The majority of the post raid photos are taken by 541, 542 and 544 Sqns.

Any suggestions welcome.

Daz
    Last edited by 78SqnHistory; 5th December 2009 at 14:40. Reason: Ammend information to read power station not oil refinery

Thanks

I count about 7 Bomber Command ops to Knapsack, one in 1942, the rest in late 1943. All list the target at Knapsack as being a power station. Schloven is about 50 miles from Knapsack, which is about 4 miles SW of Cologne.
    Regards
    Dave Wallace
    Last edited by David Wallace; 5th December 2009 at 15:09. Reason: correcting location

Thanks

Dave
    thank you for that, I have found another one that is annotated that it is an electricity power station and a synthetic nitrogen and nitrate factory. But I am still no closer to identifying the actual location for it. I will ammend my original post.

Daz

Thanks

I've found it! It's one of the power stations near Cologne. There is a reference to it in Martin Middlebrooks BC War Diaries stating that it was bombed on 12 Aug 1941.

Thanks

Daz