Thread: 5 FTS Sealand

Thanks

Default 5 FTS Sealand

On the 14th August 1940 a lone He111 attacked the airfield at Sealand. Action Stations records:-

"on the evening of August 14th 1940 an He111 made a surprise attck on the airfield, dropping bombs on the barrack blocks and killing several airmen. There was no time to get the Masters airborne but the Spitfire Battle Flight at nearby Hawarden arrived on the scene and attacked the Heinkel. The bomber pilot crash landed the crippled a/c in a field and he and his crew set fire to the wreck before giving themselves up to the local Home Guard"

Does anyone have access to the Station ORB to see if this raid was written up in more detail please.

regards and thanks

DaveW

Thanks

Watch this space, it was written up, by hand and in pencil so it may take a little while.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

So, I found I only had half the write up, it stops at the point where 7 OTU got involved, I should have also copied page 4 (I was only after the accident recorded at the top of page 3).

August 14th 1941, “Between the hours of 2035 and 2110 2 enemy aircraft both Heinkel III bombed this station. The first aircraft approached the aerodrome from the west and flying below 1000 feet dropped 8 H.E. and 1 Incendiary bomb in a straight line on the aerodrome. The first bomb dropped near the west boundary of the aerodrome and the last near the ‘C’ type hangar. It was very bad bombing from such a low height, had the first bomb dropped where the last on landed and the others after it, it is more than probable that several buildings would have been seriously damaged. The Enemy after dropping his bombs flew around the aerodrome and buildings firing his machine gun. The only damage done was on bullet hole in a wing of a Master aircraft & a small piece of shrapnel in another. 9 other aircraft received slight damage to the 3 ply skin all these aircraft were dispersed on the aerodrome. The C type hangar had two small holes in the roof.
    When the enemy commenced machine gunning, information was given to No.7 O.T.U. at Hawarden who immediately……”

Edward Doylerush did a write up in Fallen Eagles and he describes "on descending through the cloud on ETA, they came out at 2035 hours right over RAF Sealand at 1,000 feet. The bombing run was immediately initiated, with one incendiary and eight high explosive boms dropped across the airfield and camp. The main electricity cable was severed, the roof blown off part of the Sergeants' Mess, and damage caused to the main guardroom and airmans' block 'Arras'. A warrant officer was killed, and twenty-five airmen injured in th attack, with the last bomb disposing of a poor horse grazing in a field nearby. The bomb load used up, the Heinkel crew came round again and started to machine gun the aircraft so neatly laid out on the ground, damaging eight Masters and three Oxfords."

I think there has been a bit of a mix up between the first and second attack as the published details give the number of bombs, behaviour afterwards etc from the first attack but must refer to the results of the second attack.
    Alan Clark

Thanks

Alclark

Many thanks, just what I was looking for.

Regards

DaveW

Thanks

Henk's thread for 14-8-1940 does have a W/O with death registered in the Hawarden District (which both Hawarden and Sealand were in).
    Alan Clark