Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shorty Longbottom

Thanks

Default Shorty Longbottom

Hi, All:
    I'm researching "Shorty" LONGBOTTOM, an RAF pilot who was killed flying a Warwick in January 1945. Does anybody know where he is buried???

Tia

AndyWis

Thanks

Andy
    There are only 5 Longbottom's listed on CWGC, 2 are LAC's the other 3 all Sergeants, and died 1942, 1943 (111sqdn) and 1944 (51sqdn)
    Last edited by AlanW; 8th December 2009 at 18:59.

Thanks

Though I can't find a CWGC entry, there appears to be Longbottom DFC at St Luke's in Great Crosby:

http://www.stlukecrosby.org.uk/history-text/chap09.html

"There are 56 war graves, inspected by the War Graves Commission to ensure that they are kept in good order, 24 from the First World War and 32 from the Second. One of these commemorates Sergeant George Harvey Whalen who was wounded when the bomber in which he was flying crashed and who spent eighteen months in hospital until his death in June 1942. He was awarded the Cornwell Scout Badge (sometimes called the Scoutsí Victoria Cross) which is the highest decoration the Chief Scout can award and is given only in cases of exceptional bravery. The highest ranking officer in the graveyard is Rear Admiral Henry Hugh Bousfield who died on 6 November 1947 aged 58. Also commemorated are Lieutenant-Colonel William Longbottom DSO, JP, died 23 January 1932 aged 47, and Squadron-Leader Longbottom, DFC, killed on 6 January 1945, aged 29"

That fits in with:

http://www.testflyingmemorial.com/1940-45.htm

DATE: January 6, 1945
    TAKE-OFF POINT: Brooklands, Surrey
    CRASH LOCATION: Haines Bridge, Walton-on-Thames, Surrey
    AIRCRAFT TYPE & SERIAL: Vickers Warwick GR Mk V PN778
    CREW FATALITIES: Sqn Ldr M.V. Longbottom, Vickers TP
    PURPOSE OF TEST FLIGHT: Development test flight
    ACCIDENT DETAIL: Aircraft experienced severe rudder overbalance and spun into ground making its approach to Brooklands

A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks

Here's an article on Longbottom's involvement in high alttitude PR work:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb3101/is_3_54/ai_n29372921/pg_1/

A
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

Thanks

Amrit.
    Like you, i could'nt find a CWGC match, but i have found the GRO page which gives M.V.Longbottom's death as registered in Surrey NW.

Thanks

Default Short Longbottom

I believe there was reference to Shorty Longbottom in the biography of Sidney Cotton entitled "Aviator Extraordinary"

Let me now if you want more info!

Thanks

Is there a possibility that he is no longer in the RAF at the time of his death and thus wouldn't be listed by the CWGC? I see it says he was with Vickers at the time of death.

And certainly he would/could be referred to by his former rank.

Just a thought.

Dave

Thanks

Maurice Victor Longbottom was KIFA 06 Jan 45 flying a Warwick V (PN778)

He flew with 202 Sqn before he joined Cotton at the Heston Flight during Sep 39, where his technical abilities were a great help in developing high level photographic reconnaissance techniques. Initially Longbottom, along with Bob Niven, were the only operational pilots with the Heston Flight (Cotton didn't fly ops). He flew with what became the PRU until c.Sum40. He then became a test pilot at A&AEE and it appears he remained a test pilot until the time of his death.

Best Regards

Amdy Fletcher
    Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum

Thanks

Default "Shorty" Longbottom

Thank you all, especially Amrit, for your replies regarding Shorty.
    I am a "Volunteer" at the Brooklands Museum and, along with a relative of "Shorty", have been researching his RAF career. The burial place information has been most useful. Incidently, one of the Longbottoms on the CWGC site is Shorty's older brother, Philip. He was killed in July 1942 over in the States whilst learning to fly. It seems that he and seven other RAF flying cadets, plus an american instructor were flying in 4 AT17's when they encountered bad weather. All four aircraft collided/crashed killing all the crews.

Shorty himself, amongst other tasks, was one of the pilots involved in the Dambuster trials, flying from Manston. During the same period he also flew Mosquito's on "Highball" tests up in Scotland.....

Thanks again,

Andy

Thanks

Andy,

You should find some information on 'Shorty Longbotham in Putnams Vickers Aircarft since 1908 by C.F.Andrews.

He would have been buried in his hometown, so he may have been living close to Weybridge in Surrey. He crashed on the railway line close to the Brooklands race track.

I well remember the Warwick episodes, especially watching Maurice Summers plane in a tight circling decent. I will have a look in the book this evening but I do not expect his burial place will be mentioned.

How about trying the 'Brooklands Museum' I feel sure they should have that information.

All the best,
    Digger.