Thread: 257 Squadron, 6/9/1944 accident

Thanks

Default 257 Squadron, 6/9/1944 accident

Hi,
    On 6.9.1944 F/O W. B. Richardson (J42830) of 257 Squadron was killed during taking off in echelon of four Typhoons from Manston. The tyre of his MN947(No 3) burst and he went to JR219 (No 2) of F/O F. H. Broad (J23898). The both a/c burst into flames. F/O Broad managed to get out.
    Where did the squadron fly? Transfer, operation, exercise? Did the Typhoons carry bombs, rockets or nothing?
    Regards
    Mojmir

Thanks

Hi Mojmir
    I don't have the complete answer to your query, but this accident happened on the day 257 Sqn transferred from their temporary base at Manston to B.23. The fire was started when one of the LRTs (consistent with a ferry flight perhaps) carried by MN947 burst into flames. 257 Sq recorded code letters (only) for operation flights in its ORB at this time but I do not have them for the two aircraft involved - which suggests it was a non-op flight.

At the time 257 Sq was using RP, having converted from bombs at APC in August; it would go back to bombs in mid-Oct 44. So if it was a ferry flight it is likely that the outer pairs of RP rails were on, but without RP. The inner pairs of RP rails (removed to fit the LRTs) may have been clamped to the outer rails for the flight (I've photos of this being done with Mk.III rails but don't know if it was the practice with the earlier Mk.IA rails that 257 would have been using at the time).

It was a very unfortunate and nasty accident. The fire was so intense there was no trace left of the luckless pilot. Two firemen were injured.
    Chris

Thanks

Hi Chris,
    Thank you very much for your answer because you are without doubt the most competent man.
    I was puzzled in respect of this accident because:

1) F/O S. J. Eaton recalled in the N. Frank´s Typhoon Attack: ...we all landed again with our bombs still on, to find that Richardson had been killed. ...

2) H. A. Halliday´s Typhoon and Tempest – The Canadian Story said: ...The unit was transferring to another field and the aircraft were taking off with full loads. ... Rockets flew in all direction and two airmen were injured by cannon shells. ...

3) This accident wasn´t mentioned at your 2nd TAF – signalled it wasn´t an operation flight.

Please, I´d like to know :
    During two-week RP course in Fairwood Common did squadrons belong under the 2nd TAF or No.10 Group?
    Regards
    Mojmir

Thanks

Default 2ndTAF units at APC

Quote Originally Posted by vrajm View Post
    During two-week RP course in Fairwood Common did squadrons belong under the 2nd TAF or No.10 Group?
    Interesting question; don't know if I have a finite answer. Although the APCs in 1944 were under their appropriate ADGB Group, I think that squadrons visiting from 2ndTAF would just that ie. 'visiting'. The squadrons still appeared on the 2ndTAF Orders of Battle but annotated as 'at APC'.