Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mosquito HK225 151 Squadron 18.2.44

Thanks

Pilot: T/Sgt Ruben SMITH - USAAF 10601354 - initially buried Brookwood reinterred Arkansas (USA).
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dennis_burke View Post
    Glenn, you coudl contact RAF Hendon and request the Form 1180 and it hopefully will list a name as pilot, Smith or Jacques.

I found him I think again listed with his parents in the 1930 census of America, name spelled slightly different

Rubin A Smith Jr, son of Rubin A and Nellie Smith.

Also, Glenn you could order Smith's individual Deceased Persons File from the US Army by emailing:
    foia.hrc@conus.army.mil

request the IDPF for the man above under Freedom of Information rules. You may have to agree to pay a search fee when ordering that many IDPF.

It will also take long time to hear back from them, 8 to 12 weeks or more.

It will not deal with the crash but might give some clues as to his date and path of enlistment.

And don't forget to post back here with anything new you learn.

Dennis
    I have finally received Ruben Smith's IDPF file.

I can confirm he was 10601354 T/Sgt R A Smith and was indeed the pilot of the Mosquito.

He had enlisted into the 8th Air Force (USAAF) from the RCAF as the grade of Technical Sergeant, 31st August 1943.

His trade was listed as a pilot, there was another USAAF enlisted pilot in 151 Squadron at the time; a T/Sgt Clounch.

Looking at the 151 Squadron association website it mentions both pilots, T/Sgt Clounch later returned to a USAAF unit, still as a T/Sgt.

So it seems for some reason the USAAF had enlisted pilots, for at least for a while.