Thread: Lancaster JB676 MG-K 7 Sqn RAF

Thanks

Default Lancaster JB676 MG-K 7 Sqn RAF

If it is possible I would like to find out more about this aircraft and the crew that went down with it on the Friedrichshafen raid 27/28 April 1944. My interest stems from reading a book called Missing in Action by Peggy Ryle.

It was a 7 Squadron aircraft based at Oakington, I was in the Army Air Corps with 657 Squadron based at Oakington. The rear gunner 79219 S/L George Ryle DFC, Peggy’s husband comes from Sale in Manchester and I come from Burnage in Manchester. George’s crew was lead by 112728 W/C W G Lockhart D S O, D F C and Bar. Does anyone have photos of this crew and any other information on the crew? I know they crashed at Reichenbach, Germany and they are buried together at Durnbach war cemetery.

Thank you
    Last edited by paulgutt; 10th December 2009 at 20:47.

Thanks

Hi Paul,

Found this on W/C William Guy Lockhart, scroll to the bottom of the page.

http://www.conscript-heroes.com/Escaper%20Evaders%20page.html

A very interesting paragraph or two.

Regards,
    Wayne.

Thanks

Default Guy Lockhart

Guy Lockhart was a Londoner, initially joining the RAF in 1935. After training he joined 65 squadron, but following a low flying escapade, he was court marshalled and dismissed from the service. Called up at the outbreak of war, he underwent further training, then serving as a fighter pilot with 74 sqdn showing immediate promise until shot down. He subsequently had a meteoric rise through the ranks in a varied but short RAF career. (A biography is in the course of preparation, and will make interesting reading).

His leadership of 7 sqdn was short and so the likelyhood of any crew photos may be remote.

Regards,

Ian Simpson

Thanks

LOCKHART, William Guy, S/L, DFC (112728, Royal Air Force) - No.161 Squadron - Distinguished Service Order - awarded as per London Gazette dated 9 October 1942. Born in 1916 at Mortlake; home in Colchester; educated at St.Vincent's School, Eastbourne and Sevenoaks School. Former Sergeant, commissioned 1941; awarded DFC, 3 June 1942 (Flight Lieutenant, No.161 Squadron); awarded Bar to DFC, 6 June 1944 (Wing Commander, No.692 Squadron). Killed in action, 28 April 1944 with No.7 Squadron; buried at Durnbach, Germany.

"Squadron Leader Lockhart has participated in many operational sorties and the successes gained can be attributed largely to his careful organization and planning. He has at all times displayed courage, skill and fortitude which have been in keeping with the highest traditions of the Royal Air Force."

LOCKHART, William Guy, A/W/C, DSO, DFC (112728, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve - No.692 Squadron - Bar to Distinguished Flying Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 6 June 1944. Born 1916; home in Colchester, Essex. Educated at St. Vincent's School, Eastbourne and Sanscake School. Following text from Air Ministry Bulletin 14171..

"In February 1944, this officer was posted to form and command No.692 Squadron. Since then he has shown outstanding ability and his leadership has been largely responsible for the fine record set up by the squadron. Wing Commander Lockhart has also continued to operate against the enemy with unremitting keenness and zeal, and has taken part in many operational sorties with success."

Thanks

Hello

I'm resurrecting this old thread, as I'd like to know if the biography of W.G. Lockhart mentioned by Ian has been published ? I don't remember having seen it.

Regards

Joss